fisher26

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9th ave just west of macleod se as it is east of centre by 1/2 a block

Canadians are unfailingly polite-When traveling, Canadians are indistinguishable from Americans (except for the patch!)

i do agree with that statement - my mother is the perfect example of that.

i'm just curious rick - and not trying to stir the pot. just want to understand - it is ok for you to post the drunk southerner travelling down the road on a riding lawnmower for a laugh? either you were boasting that these are your people or embarassed because of the southerner stereotype, i wasnt sure which.

but i cannot say that i have found that a number of americans loud and obnoxious from personal experience and i'm not talking 1 trip to seattle in my life time. and you have taken it personally as an afront to you. it was not meant to be.

were you not generalizing and stereotyping? and gernerally making fun of some poor guy from lower middle class (staged or not for the sake of the video) is afraid of his wife and drunk enough to get on a lawnmower

i was not making fun or being malicious, just making an obeservation. such as this one - your people, texans tend to be the nicest, and most polite that i have met. they open doors for you, say hello, smile, and tip their hat - if wearing one, if not they bow their heads a little, let you in line or in the elevator first and usually quiet, unassuming, unpretenious and generous. but again that is a personal observation of the number people i have met. of course i havent met all 330 million americans out there.

dont assume i am pointing a finger at you in particular or any of your family or friends. i can only comment on people i have met along the road of life. maybe i just meet all the assholes and idiots.

even in town there seems to be a big sign over my head that flashes - assholes wanted, please talk to me.

i won't apologize for my opinions as they are what they are, but i will address the intent as my experiences have shown me. but it certainly is not fair to be upset at me for my opinion about actual poeple i have met while you post the stereotype to poke fun and prevoke the 'ahhh typical, so arkansawish - only in america' response which so politely was brushed over by everyone. but that's ok, you're american and you can criticize at yourself and your country but no one else can?!?

the others are united kingdom, united states of mexico, united arab emirates, uzbekistan and ukraine

9th ave just west of macleod se as it is east of centre by 1/2 a block

Canadians are unfailingly polite-When traveling, Canadians are indistinguishable from Americans (except for the patch!)

i do agree with that statement - my mother is the perfect example of that.

i'm just curious rick - and not trying to stir the pot. just want to understand - it is ok for you to post the drunk southerner travelling down the road on a riding lawnmower for a laugh? either you were boasting that these are your people or embarassed because of the southerner stereotype, i wasnt sure which.

but i cannot say that i have found that a number of americans loud and obnoxious from personal experience and i'm not talking 1 trip to seattle in my life time. and you have taken it personally as an afront to you. it was not meant to be.

were you not generalizing and stereotyping? and gernerally making fun of some poor guy from lower middle class (staged or not for the sake of the video) is afraid of his wife and drunk enough to get on a lawnmower

i was not making fun or being malicious, just making an obeservation. such as this one - your people, texans tend to be the nicest, and most polite that i have met. they open doors for you, say hello, smile, and tip their hat - if wearing one, if not they bow their heads a little, let you in line or in the elevator first and usually quiet, unassuming, unpretenious and generous. but again that is a personal observation of the number people i have met. of course i havent met all 330 million americans out there.

dont assume i am pointing a finger at you in particular or any of your family or friends. i can only comment on people i have met along the road of life. maybe i just meet all the assholes and idiots.

even in town there seems to be a big sign over my head that flashes - assholes wanted, please talk to me.

i won't apologize for my opinions as they are what they are, but i will address the intent as my experiences have shown me. but it certainly is not fair to be upset at me for my opinion about actual poeple i have met while you post the stereotype to poke fun and prevoke the 'ahhh typical, so arkansawish - only in america' response which so politely was brushed over by everyone. but that's ok, you're american and you can criticize at yourself and your country but no one else can?!?

the others are united kingdom, united states of mexico, united arab emirates, uzbekistan and ukraine

Of course I was making fun. It was funny. But very few people are actually like the guy in the video. And I will make fun of Texans and Americans again. But I have to be very careful about making fun of Canadians because I'm not one. It could easily be misinterpreted. And there is a difference between making fun of oneself, or one's "people" in jest and having someone do it in a method that didn't seem very much in jest.

LS, you can say you didn't mean it as a generalization, and I completely believe you, but I want you to go back and read your original post and tell me how it could be interpreted as anything other than a generalization? Now I will say that I've read your stuff for awhile and I should have given the benefit of the doubt because you have never posted anything that would lead me to believe that you are anti anything. So for that, I will apologize.

But try to see things from this side a bit. I live in a country that I truly love being in. I hope I get to stay forever. I am also extremely proud of where I am from. I don't know if you noticed, but there can be from time to time an anti-American sentiment from some on this board. Certainly no more than the rest of the country (and maybe less here than in general). And to me, there are some Canadians who don't seem to know how to define themselves other than by "not American" So I can get a bit sensitive to it from time to time.

Edit: by the way, I knew Uzbekistan. Wouldn't have come up with UAE, might have missed Ukraine. Definitely wouldn't have gotten United States of Mexico--but did you google? I didn't!!

Another edit: I was going to PM this instead, but figured I give the peeps another way to pass a long winter night!

When I was backpacking in asia we used to joke that you could tell who was american by the super-sized canadian flag on their pack.

Wow what a great discussion.

Winter seems to be setting in.

One thing that is true for almost 90% of Americans is their undying patriotism for their country. I have family and friends in the states and they practically pound patriotism and nationalism into children’s heads since they are born (case in point they will argue until eternity for their country). Now this isn't exactly bad, however never argue against an American when it comes to their country or people. Again this isn't bad... Just different.

Canada on the other hand is essentially being assimilated into the U.S., its pathetic, were culturally almost identical. Either that or we encourage immigrants to segregate within our country; it creates a lot of national unity. Lol

(WARNING: Some of the above may be opinionated and/or contain my 2 cents)

My o my, I didn't mean this to get a bit out of hand when I first posted...

Winter seems to be setting in.

One thing that is true for almost 90% of Americans is their undying patriotism for their country. I have family and friends in the states and they practically pound patriotism and nationalism into children’s heads since they are born (case in point they will argue until eternity for their country). Now this isn't exactly bad, however never argue against an American when it comes to their country or people. Again this isn't bad... Just different.

Canada on the other hand is essentially being assimilated into the U.S., its pathetic, were culturally almost identical. Either that or we encourage immigrants to segregate within our country; it creates a lot of national unity. Lol

(WARNING: Some of the above may be opinionated and/or contain my 2 cents)

fisher,

Don't think its out of hand at all. Just a spirited discussion between two fairly opinionated (and one of us is right ;) ) people.

I actually thought it was a pretty good discussion that got a bit sidetracked.

hey rickr, i'm sorry if it came off as a generalization. i re-read and i guess the first part did; however, from the begining i did specifically say the people i had met. which is why i also threw in that i also lived in the states for a time, in hopes that people would understand that my comment wasnt generalized but based on actual experience.

no i didnt google it. that would be one of those stupid useless pieces of information stuck in my head. that and every offical document that comes across my desk from mexico says united states of mexico in spanish. being an ex-travel agent certainly helped as i have sent people to each country except uganda and possibly uruguay, i dont remember. (because that would be useful)

i second the patriotism that americans feel for their country. in canada, very few people say, hey i'm canadian and be proud of it, unless a conversation about beer comes up. everyone in canada comes from somewhere else. if you ask someone, where are you from or what's your heritage, and you get, well, my grandpa was from germany and my mom was born in scotland and my dad's dad was from.... and so on. my family has been in canada since 1700 something and i still say, english, irish, french and scotish with a little bit of native thrown in for good messure. i really dont know hom much more canadian i have to be to be canadian. it seems when you ask the question, no one wants to admit being from canada even the new canadians say "i'm ... (insert ethicity) rather than i'm canadian. even the newfies specify newfoundland as though it were a different country and same goes for the french quebecois

i can certainly appreicate that you are proud of your heritage. we dont know how to differentiate any other way than saying not american because (again generalization) many people around the world see north america as america and mexico. so the automatic answer is, in stead of no i'm from canada, we say i'm not american. therefore, we must be from mexico... humm.

Please, feel free to bash canadians - you're an adopted Canadian... we understand and it's funny. because, well really, we aren't canadians at all. we're just people from some other place who ended up living in igloos and cant get the dogsled up and running to get the hell out

warning, this narative contains generalizations :P

and i was going to pm you too. i wuv you rickr :wub:

there are some Canadians who don't seem to know how to define themselves other than by "not American" So I can get a bit sensitive to it from time to time.

That would be those Liberal types. Its a political strategy. Then you have those Quebecers who define themselves as "not Canadian". Also a political strategy.

Politicians and their minions.