Fly Fusion Forums

I recently purchased a 12' boat so that I can take my kids out, but they are currently too young to help with loading it on to a vehicle and it looks like its going to be a bit too cumbersome for me to load by myself.  To that end I'm looking at trailers, but I'm debating whether or not to get a dedicated boat trailer or a utility trailer.  Has anyone had any experience transporting a boat on a utility trailer and is there any disadvantages (other than the bearings and the lack of a winch) that I should take in to account?

Boat trailers generally only haul a boat.Utility differnt; If say you built a box,with a roof & put a boat rack on top of it.You could store your pfd's gas,batteries,motor etc.The cadillac version of what i'm suggesting is sold at CAP IT.Years ago there was an outfit called the custom caddy.Iwas built in Kamloops,solely with fisherman bias.

Depends where you plan on taking it. If you're fishing some backwoods BC lakes then you definitely want as Brian suggested and get a topper/rack system with or without a winch. If it's all lakes you are comfortable driving to with a trailer then buy a dedicated boat trailer and don't look back. I run a 30 year old aluminum V hull and just replaced the trailer last year. Bought a shoreland'r trailer and love it. Deal with these guys and ask for Barry. http://www.recreationalpowersports.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...