Fly Fusion Forums

Acupuncture

I'm recently getting acupuncture for a my big toe joint. It was fusing last year and I got surgery to remove some bone. Well since then its been very tight and painful. (1 year). So now im getting physio and acupuncture.

Does it work right away or does it take some time? Is it voodoo witchcraft? Whats the deal?

Dave "sore toe" Dev.

My thoughts are that you probably have some scar tissue on some of the tendons. Go see a chiro who has ART. They should be able to help you immensely.

Had a foot problem with scar tissue when playing hockey, and this was the only thing that helped it. BTW, my opinion is probably biased as my sister is a chiro...but its an option to explore.

Had acupuncture on my arm a while back. It suppressed some of the pain, but don't think its a permanent fix imo....

my .02 cents.

amputate it dave... :P ...in all seriousness, i think that acupuncture is just a state of mind (same type of thing as placebos...if you believe it works, then it will) as i had a spinal injury and it did nothing for me whereas others with a similar injury thought it worked...just my opinion...

Hi, I've had acupuncture at the time it or I thought it worked, but really for myself it didn't. I got it cuz I thought if my neck, back was no longer in pain.. I could work harder, longer. on and on... But really it never worked for me, I still work harder and longer...

I take potassium that really works for me it does. I take 2 tablets of 100mg, everynight wiff meal. it helps to take the grey hair away too I've noticed..

That's my story and sticking to it.. ;-)

Thanks.

I'm basically going to echo what others have said. I had some acupuncture for shoulder problems and found it did nothing. To get over my shoulder problems I had to do physio. I have heard people rave about active release, but have never done it myself.

My doctor told me that if acupuncture was going to work that I would notice a difference right away but cautioned me that typically acupuncture only makes a noticeable difference 30% of the time.

It might be that you are in the group where acupuncture works. Then again, it might just be placebo effect.

I have friends who are physios and they always say that the way to soft tissue recovery is through physio (although they may have a vested self interest).

Guest Rocknbugs

I had accupuncture for my broken foot and knee and after awhile I had to request that the guy not do it anymore. 1 it was exremely painful and 2 it did nothing for me. Going in I thought accupuncture was not painful man was I wrong.

See I don't feel them much.

Dave,

If it's working, stick with it (pun certainly intended).

Like many alternative treatments, they work for some, not all. So the opinions tend to vary from "I couldn't believe it!" to "sucks!" with very little in between.

The placebo effect of acupuncture is wholly disproven by the fact that animals, who have no expectation of getting better due to human intervention, show positive responses to acupuncture. You don't have to believe in it for it to work. Electro-acupuncture is used as anesthesia for surgery on humans, not only in China but in the US.

I am an acupuncturist, trained in a 3.5 year master's degree program. One of my professors supplied acupuncture anesthesia for a patient having a mastectomy. That would be pretty powerful mind-over-matter on the patient's part, I think.

Some people do experience immediate and lasting pain reduction after only one acupuncture treatment, but this is rather unusual. Acupuncture treatment is a process, it doesn't flip a switch for most people between "pain on" and "pain off". As used in China, acupuncture treatment takes place daily in acute health conditions and less frequently, if at all, for health maintenance.

Herbal medicine is used more in China than in the west, where acupunture seems to be preferred over herbs. In the US, if patients have acupuncture once a week for an acute condition, it is considered a more normal schedule. I feel that the beneficial affects are cumulative and that daily treatment would be more effective. Needling can be supplemented with tuina (Chinese medical massage), herbal medicine, cupping, moxa, or gua sha.

If your pain does not respond favorably to acupuncture after several treatments, you should a) ask to have more frequent treatment, or a different treatment adding tuina, herbs, different points or e-stim or B) see a different acupuncturist rather than writing off acupuncture as a whole.

I plan to add more to this post, including scientific studies, but I have a patient to see right now!

Wow Flyangler...your comment about accupuncture anaesthesia is really fascinating. Somewhat related is a program I watched once about a woman who underwent hypnotherapy anaesthesia for an abdominal hysterectomy. The doctor cut through her skin, muscles and got right down to removing her uterus before she eventually showed signs of distress and had to be put under. After I saw that, I truly believed in the powers of hypnotherapy and such things. I know people who have back problems who get accupuncture on a regular basis and claim it keeps them pain-free and sane. I'd certainly give it a go, if I needed to.

Dave - when I said I wouldn't hurt ya - I meant to add the word MUCH to that :lol: . I'd say if it's working for ya, then keep doing it. Who cares why.

Total voodoo witchcraft! Just kidden it helps my grandfather for a knee..... ailment (can't remember the actual condition) but he is about as skeptical of that sorta thing as anyone and he figures it helped a fair bit

Flyangler maybe as someone within that field (sorta) you might be able to tell me if that laser stop smoking treatment is effective? I met a guy tother day who said 1 visit and he quit from 1 pack plus a day says he hasn't smoked since (20 years) Conversely is there an accupuncture treatment for this....... I am a die hard smoker..... I hate it now but I just can't kick the habit.

One more thing - LF made me think of it. I think no matter what you do or don't do with accupuncture or laser therapy or hypnotherapy, the key is that your mind has to be open to the healing properties of it. I think if you walk in there under protest or are skeptical, it's not going to be as effective as it could be. I am a huge believer in the power of the mind and positive thinking. I'm livin' proof of that ;)

Hey LF,

I tried many, many different stop smoking methods. I found the patch the most effective (this was years ago), but after 6 months or so I would always start up again. About 10 yrs ago my then 4 yr old asked me when I was going to die. I went out and bought some patches that day. After 3 days I quit using them because they were unnecessary. I wasn't going to have another smoke, period. I guess my point is echoing Lynn-once you REALLY decide to do it, I think the actual methodology you use is not that important. Not to use a cliche, but it really is all in the attitude.

And we're talking pack to a pack and a half a day for over 20 yrs for me. Another cliche--if I can do it....