Fly Fusion Forums

Cairns Australia

Glenbow

Hi all,

Sorry to flood this section of the forum, I have the time today & an internet connection so I thought I'd make a few posts. I hope it helps pass the time away in the deep freeze! Cairns has been awesome. Scuba dived the Great Barrier Reef 2 days ago, did 3 dives & it was spectacular. 60ft of water is still bathwater warm, I managed to swim with some sea turtles close enough to touch them (I didn't though) and it is quite a life affirming experience. Saw a bunch of 4' long giant clams, some morays and a ton of other things. I went up today for a scenic flight over the Reef and took a bunch of pics - it was totally awesome. I went out for a charter fish yesterday & managed a smallish Trevally, it was bait fishing with spin gear but still fun nonetheless. There's not as much ffing here as one might think, but it would take some research and planning which I did not have the time or inclination to do. This part of the trip is a take-it-as-it-goes part, and it's the right kind of place to do things that way. It is an awesome place to see with lots of fun things to do. We are off to Melbourne tomorrow for a couple of days, we're going on a blues train (train ride with live blues music) and then some more screwing around before it's off to Sydney. Time's flying by - and my ears are peeling. Don't worry, I don't expect any sympathy - I'll take peeling ears over frostbite any day! I hope you like the pictures.

CairnsPool.jpg

Cairnsboat.jpg

Notice the wake in the background........(that one's for you BBB)

Diveboat-1.jpg

Boagsbeer.jpg

Prawnslunch.jpg

DiveBoat.jpg

BigfishUW.jpg

Snorkel.jpg

FishUW.jpg

FishUW1.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
Notice the wake in the background........(that one's for you BBB)

Diveboat-1.jpg

Theres a boat? where? hahah

Loving your reports Glen, don't worry bout flooding, you're just making everyones shack nasties increase exponentially :P

Drop by the shop when you're back, love to get all your stories and reccomendations for down there man.

Do you find Scuba diving a little more constrictive then snorkeling. I've done lots of snorkeling in hawaii and cayman, but never did the scuba, and am considering getting my certification before i go to NZ....Turtles are awesome under water eh, its amazing how a thing that looks SO awkward on land is so quick and good at swimming...

Glenbow that looks identical to the operation I was on a few months ago when I was in Australia. We went up the coast all the way to Airlie beach, thats a little south of "Canns" As they say it I guess haha. Ya take a cat for a 2 hour ride out to the reef, pretty sweet operation hey? Looks like your havin a blast.

I'm thankful that the last snow didn't have to be shoveled, that the cat is doing her job and warming my ankles, and that Glenbow posted some more vacation pics. Now, if he could only find some beefy ozzie hunks to photograph for us girls, life would be even better. Just don't get caught.

Isn't Glenn beefy and hunky enough?

Glenn, I think you're pretty hunky.

Rick, dude, you REALLY need to get fishin'!!

Be careful, Glen; I think he's just interested in your "outback", if ya know what I mean, eh? Wink-wink, nudge-nudge. ;)

Guest bigbadbrent
you must not be a comedy type movie fan...otherwise you would know what that's all about... :lol:

tooooouch down...

Number 2 was on tv last night....'DIE EVIL BIRD!!"

Let's keep it on track folks, remember, it's a family show. It's hard for me to steal time away from sun, sand & surf to remember to post more stuff. I hope you are all enjoying the nice weather at home, I am sweating my b@lls off right now. Even my beer gets hot before I can finish it.

Just kiddin' folks, I hope to do a bit of fly fishing here now that I am down south somewhere between Sydney & Melbourne, I think a trip to the Snowy Mountains is in order. I will try to post some more stuff soon (it's not as easy to get internet as you might think). Be safe out there. I have poison snakes & spiders to worry about!