Fly Fusion Forums

Chinook On Mon Hi Of 10, Tue Hi Of 6

PlayDoh

I've been reading even more, and especially "Seasons of the Trout" by By Neale Streeks, and from what I gather the day after a Chinook should be better. The dramatic change in temp between Sun -17 (around) to plus 10 Monday would make me think that most activity would occur right after the 'warm up'.

I've also read that a dreary day is better then a warm one, catch wise. Snowing, cold and dark being better then a mild sunny day doesn't seem logical, but I'm no Biologist, nor river expert. Hence the question. I'm sure Calgary has a quite unique clime, but I'm wondering how it compares to Montana's? A couple of the books I've recently read are by authors from MO, and Chinooks were referenced to Trout activity.

I went out the last Chinook we had, which was mild to say the least. Mondays has wind damage warnings, so it could get ugly. Although I'm a beginner, I've made peace with the wind/Chinooks for the most part, I just cast down-wind and live with the limitations.

My new waders are in the mail, so I plan on just bank fishing since the ones I have are not a winter wader at all. I probably wade too much, since I'm always knee deep at least yet I move slow and I just love being out there. Although leaky PVC waders gave me foot-sicles last time.

With all that said, I'll probably go out both days and not catch anything :P