Fly Fusion Forums

Guide For Sw Alberta Rivers

yak

I have friends coming to calgary for 2 weeks in the summer. Unfortunately i will not be here to supply them with what limited experience/info I have so I would like to set them up with a qaulity guide with competitive rates for 5-6 days of fishing in southern alberta. they are mainly river/stream anglers but a stop at Bullshead or one of the other still waters may be in their plans.I would like to hear any and all opinions on who to consider and who to avoid. thanks to all members for their help

I had considered this outfit just because of my great experience with Brian Peace and the good things I have heard about one of the guides employed by BC but I am a little skeptical of the company as a whole based on my personal observations of the website ( recent trip pics are still april 07) and some issues with products offered( I hope this is OK to say this). I am certainly not bashing this company in any way as I personally have not dealt with the new ownership. Any first hand experieces with BC fishing and its guides would be much appreciated ( response to the thread if allowed or PMs to my acct).

Thanks to those who have already offered up some info.

All a guide is going to provide in that area is spots and some basic techniques - and you can get that info here. In fact, if your buds started reading here now and you pointed them in the right direction, they'd be further ahead than with a guide.

Bullshead is better as a DIY. Bring waders, a long net, and a metric tonne of Bloom Leeches and Weevils in size 10-16 and hold on tight. Depending on the time in summer weeds may be tough at BH. A day there with Tim or some of the other regulars would be better than with a guide.

I would strongly recommend guided fishing for the Bow or Crowsnest, but if you're talking Liv or Castle country I think the $2-3K you'd be looking at spending for guides would be better spent on books, maps, beer, gas, and camping. Having said that, Maxwell on the board here guides and I don't think you could beat hiring him to get you into fish.

My view on most guide service's, anywhere, for any type of fishing, is they are usually all very qualified and there will be little difference arranging a trip with one or another, except maybe price and personalities. If you know how to fish, you're gonna catch fish and all of the local guides on a given waterway will know where the fish are most days and the most productive methods to catch them.

If you are a beginner, all of the guides will be more than qualified to teach you the basics. You don't need a flyfishing guru to teach you the basics, unless you just want to spend the day with that guide/instructor, which is fine, as fishing should be whatever you want it to be.

So, in my opinion, it is more important to talk to the folks at each of the guiding services and get a feel for what they are all about and go with your heart. Try and find someone you want to spend a day on the water with and someone who also understands what you want and expect from your trip.

thanks to all who sent me info ( good and bad). This is actually a group of my father inlaws friends who are coming up from the states for a weeks worth of fishing so if I do the planning I want all to go well with no surprises. I had a group in mind before posting and now have other options and information to consider. thanks again FFC