Fly Fusion Forums

Surface Presentation

ChubbyChernobyl

I have been swinging with a two handed rod on the Bow for about one year now, with pretty good results using subsurface tube flies. I use a scandi head and 10 foot type 3-5 polytip, depending on the conditions.

I see lots of potential application in using a two handed rod for dry line presentation, although I have not tried it. I was wondering if anyone swings surface patterns (stoneflies, caddis, mice) and what their experience has been.

Serge

Just tied up a monster oct caddis skater this morning. Tried skating stones earlier this year but only had a couple boils. We didn't seem to get much of a hatch, with the drawn out spring and blown out early July.

I've been swinging/swymphing pupa/emerger/adult triple rigs on my single hander with good success. Only avoided my switch as its not as versatile.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been teaching myself on a 4wt two hander for a while now, not the best but I can cast. I have been having lots of luck swinging flies, but I too am interested in skating flies as well. I thought maybe a Grease Liner with an orange body would work? Tied one big just to practice and then went down to a size 10, figured that would be more Bow River size.

IMG_2568_zpsq4pnthh0.jpg

Nick

• Like 2

those'll work for steelhead for sure. The nice thing about practicing with a dry is it allows you to tell what makes your fly speed up, and slow down, what a mend will do, how the angle of the cast changes what occurs 3/4 of the way through the swing, etc. Can learn a lot that you can then transfer to when you're fishing a tip

• Like 1