Fly Fusion Forums

The Good And The Bad

Saw both today from guide boats in short order. Kudos to the fusion/loop Hyde who saw I was also swinging streamers and rowed hard to the other side to give me space. Next boat, a blue inflatable hooks into a hog. They then proceed to land it and fuss around with it for a few minutes in the bottom of the boat before finally attempting the hero shot. Guy drops it from chest height THREE TIMES into the bottom of the boat. If you got a couple of putz in the boat hold the net under their fish. Jeesh.

• Like 2

Definitely something you don't expect from a guide that normally has a good reputation...

Low-holed = when you are fishing a run from riffle to tailout and someone starts fishing the same "hole" just down from you. Sometimes they crowd you, even cast where you are casting or cast over your line.

• Like 1

Interesting...

The last time we floated the Bow, this same guide low holed us twice on the same day! Tried to call him out on it and he just ignored me...

maybe its just you. its a small world out there.

Nah come to think of it, got low holed this spring by the same guy. Both fishing streamers that day. Maybe a change of heart.

It's a big river and there is more than enough room to give everyone space when you're floating.

I try to float/fish out of a shore anglers fishing radius if we're in their area. Even if it's just a few feet out. Most times theyre only fishing 10-20 feet off shore. So you can easily drift at 30 and fish the outside of their Seam.

There are times when drifting that you can't avoid wading anglers. It does take a bit of rowing to get out of a slot. I've been on both sides of the piece. I often have pulled away from wading fisherman, a couple of times on corners I've come close to anglers unintentionally. On the flip side when a drift boat is in the lane I am wading in I will usually stop casting in favour of giving them a wave through. I've been on the guiding side and it's not easy rowing and watching clients plus others on the river.

I will always give even if I don't always receive.