Fly Fusion Forums

Flava

is it just me or does it seem that spey fishing seems to be the flavor of the month here?...there was almost no talk of it during the rest of the year but in the last month alone, i've heard more people talk about spey fishing than i have in the last two years...to quote the TV commercial..."wuddafuxup?" :lol::P

Guest bigbadbrent

I can cast........

Spey fishing is just something new for me, thats why it interests me.. Gives me something to launch streamers.

and i can tell you, i can buy a lot more spey rods then i can boats..

they are pretty fun..... not really needed in Alberta at all but for those of us who don't have the luxury of frequent trips to steelhead and salmon country there is not really another way to learn this aspect of fly fishing. Also 75% of my favorite fishing casts are spey casts even with a single hand fly rod...... They just work..... It is true though FH if you have a boat then all you have to do is learn to throw a 15 foot overhead cast and make a simple mend for basically every situation....... but that seems a bit boring to me. I will note though that I have actually only had my 2 hander out in AB 3 or 4 times I usually am satisfied with just my one hander. Spey rods may be a bit much for all but the biggest AB fish...... but spey casts aren't.

andy my brother i bought a spey a few years back knowin the intent of the cast/technique....however i spent a few eyars learning the casts single handed....my hommie toolman seen its pros on the distance and ease of fishing....picked it up and has bin hyping it since.... too some is it a fad...i think so...sort of...i for one find spey casting too be the most efficient way too dump bomb casts....nymphing and streamers.....tell me one person who can fish the midriver trench from shore with less than 15ft of back cast and still mend and hook that hog with a single hander ..cast after cast...and believe me ive bin trying.....you get longer drifts, cover more water...and with a 13' 4" 5/6 noodle a 14 inch feels like a 20.....i think ignorance is bliss in this situation and some will spey and otehrs wont....its jsut finally hit alberta...hop on teh bus hop offf...

i'm not trying to stir the pot of nasties here...i'm just curious as to why all the hype all of a sudden...i've spey'ed before but i guess i have become either lazy or efficient (depending on what side you look at) because i don't understand it's purpose unless you are steelheading or searunning, and thus, i don't use it...just my opinion...like i said, i am just curious as to all the hype... :)

Well Dr. BT, if you take a look at the Speycasters Lounge and the old FFC boards, you will see that we have been talking about two handers for the last year around here, including a couple of Spey schools that we have already hosted. As for it gaining popularity in recent months, this is true and I think it is just great. People are attracted to it for many reasons including the beautifull and efficent casting and unique presentation methods etc.

Whatever the magic is about Spey casting/fishing with two handers that is attracting people to give it a try, it's all good. Spey casting/fishing is about taking your flyfishing skills to the next level.

I can see how some of you guys are not up for the challenge.

DBT I can only see parts of the bow walkin wading being really practical for a big spey....... In other places they may prove handy or fun but in all seriousness are likely overkill........

FH spey is a shore angling thing..... sounds like you prefer to stay in your boat.... to each his own

i here the cry on overkill and spey being a 100% always used tool...i for one am not on that path...like in runoff and any dryfly situation ...gonna be single for me...same with smaller streams...unless theres bulltrout...up in the mountains a spey is overkill i think....yes spey its traditionally a coastal/euro thing...

but! ive bin practicing my "surfcasting" wich is overhanding two handed rods...with practice 60 is a joke 80+ is easily reached and 100+ aint outta teh question...this open a WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR US FLYFISHIN ALBERTANS EH ...nextyear i plan on fishing bigger boddies of water for... pike walleye lakers and whatver else is a biggun and willing too bite...thinkin of the possabilities in a pontoon with 15ft of t14 a 30+ head and 100 feet of belly line...TROLLIN TEH DEPTHS lmao, they make full sinkin head and intermediat head too if u prefer that .....offshore humps, dropoffs etc...60+ feet of water no prob..lastyear i made a fly for a laker and this year i hope i can get a chance too get out and give it a go....people are fishin halibut.........now spey...the rollcast....as shore fisherman backasting room can be an issue....i love swingin streamers and pupae and stones and a 100+ foot swing, casting past teh shithole pipes...fishin hullswood form shore and otehr things like that is freakin comical TOO ME and a new test TOO ME and thats y i love it...the roll itself is a artform.... i love(like tying flies)...whips are cool...my heratige is rancher/trapper/fisher through and through...YEEHAA BEEYAA lmao!! get ur bullwhips and start practicing ur snakerolls and d loops kids!.....education is elevation in my world...

Yo Maxwell. Learn to spell, care about what you say and how you say it, it might help for others to take you seriously... Back to the spey thing.... Most of the fish I catch, out of the boat are within about 35 feet. why do I need to spey !!!

LOL. I have a hard time believing that most members here would not take Max seriously just because he's goofing around with the keyboard intentionally being a little sloppy.

Fishhead take a chill pill.

Why the Hype, thats easy, some of the most outspoken members have picked up the Spey and are excited about it, as they should be. This excitement is infectious, which is a good thing. Hell I know for a fact I will probably get a spey rod some day and draw upon others experience from this forum to help me learn how to become proficient with one.

Its all good in my opinion. I see the advantages that Spey rods have in certain situations on big waters like the bow. Likewise I see the advantages one handers have in other situations.

It's just another great way to experience fly fishing that requires a new set of skills and understanding. I wouldn't say its taking your fly fishing skills to the next level, but rather expanding your current skills to encompass other great fly fishing mechanisms and tactics. :)

DBT I can only see parts of the bow walkin wading being really practical for a big spey....... In other places they may prove handy or fun but in all seriousness are likely overkill........

FH spey is a shore angling thing..... sounds like you prefer to stay in your boat.... to each his own

first off, i don't fish from boats unless it's a pontoon or belly boat on a lake...secondly, i would like to apologize for my curiousity to the popularity of spey all of a sudden...i didn't mean to bring on the shack nasties already (i thought they usually started at the end of December)....thirdly, and i will freely admit it, all i know of the Bow is what i've been told (AKA...i am a Bow virgin) so i am not one to nitpick anyone's method of fishing...i was just curious is all...

Yo Maxwell. Learn to spell, care about what you say and how you say it, it might help for others to take you seriously... Back to the spey thing.... Most of the fish I catch, out of the boat are within about 35 feet. why do I need to spey !!!

Might have more to do with the want to spey rather than the need to spey..

Guest bigbadbrent
I sure do miss FFA, at least there were some people who got it, knew ther place and swapped good info...

So, is everyones place below you? just making sure..seems like a typical elitist attitude...

I've fished the spey 3 times, and it definitely puts new spots into play when wading. I also carry my 4 weight, so its not like im restricting myself, at all....

here is a point of view from someone who has watched a few spey casters but has never speyed myself, i have fished the thompson and the fraser as well as a number of other really large, deep and fast moving rivers. i've also managed to fish with around a dozen members from the forum. sorry greg, i havent managed to get to you yet. ;) i have waded, canoed and done a drift with guide on the bow.

i have a fairly consistent range of 60ft with my single hand 6wt rod. i do have issues with the backcast and space. if there is a piece of grass taller than 3ft anywhere behind me - i will catch it. i'm not a big girl with gorilla shoulders and the back of a mule. i physically do not have the upper body strenght that the men do. just the way it is. so the curiosity for me is reducing the effort and energy needed.

i may not NEED to cast out farther than 60 on the Bow, but there are some seams and trenches that are beyond my distance ability. it would be nice to have an additional set of skills to be able to hit those seams IF i so felt the urge to.

there is some grace to the different spey casts that i find kind of enchanting. but what i find really interesting is the ability with the leverage of the longer rod and heavier lines to be able to nicely swing 60-80 ft of line out without my back cast also being 35ft + behind me and to do so with less effort. the less effort i put out the longer i can fish for without injury.

the bow drift was fun and i caught my first brown that day, as well as a few others. i had my 8wt only because i forgot my reel for the 6wt. i only needed to cast 10 - 30 ft using a simple over hand cast but after 5 hours of that, my wrist, shoulders and back were pretty sore. i found the drift went by too quickly. so i discovered - interesting experience but i prefer wading. which means crap, kids, dogs, trees, grass etc will be behind me. personaly, i am intrigued with the possibilities of extending my distance without affecting the length of my back cast.

i think some of the excitement surrounding the recent popularity of the spey on this forum is because there are a number of very visible and outspoken members who have taken it up and said, check this out, i tried this and this is what i have discovered. it interests people and they try it. either they like it or they dont but it seems more often than not, the people trying are really enjoying a new to them technique - for whatever personal reasons.

Fishhead, i'm not saying you should be blowing flowers up people's arses or that you have to play nice with anyone you may or may not have an issue with. but unprovoked attacks are not necessary. if you really want to call someone out, do it by PM. i come here to learn and meet people who have similar interests, not read your tantrums