Fly Fusion Forums

Newbie Skeena Trip

TroutPanther

Hey guys,

I have been doing a bit of browsing on the net, checking out places like speypages etc. and some old posts on here trying to dig up some info on how to go about a steelhead trip in the fall. So I apologize if this has been covered to some degree.

I'm not an attorney/doctor and hence don't really have the budget to drop 6-7 grand for a week at one of the high end lodges. Planning on doing about 7-10 days, motel-ing it. I have a few questions I was hoping some of the more experienced steelhead dudes and gals might be able to shed Some sage advice:

1. Any recommendations on good guides that would accommodate 2-3 days of fishing, so I could try to apply some of the learnings to DIY later in the week?

2. Alternatively, any more "rustic" trips that might fit the bill and not put me in the poorhouse?

3. Good all-rounder 2 hander rig for a newb? I'd want something I could grow into and not think is total crap once I learn how to cast. (of course I'd take it out on the bow beforehand to get some practice in before my trip)

4. Is it worth bringing a drift boat/inflatable or just walk and wade to save the hassle of hauling a boat up? will it even matter if I'm competing with a bunch of jet-dudes?

5. I was thinking about going late September, but I'm open to go earlier or later... Given my timeframe, home base in Smithers, Terrace, or a few days in each?

Not looking for any secret honey holes, just more high level logistics and such so I can suss out some options. Im sure I could just go for it and figure it out as I go but any input is appreciated! Ps - once I figure it out and get a 2 handed rig, will trade beer (or a float in my boat) for 2 handed lessons!

1. Odds are you will be hard pressed to find a guide that will give you one to three days,particularly if they know you'll be out competing with them in the next week. angling days are expensive and they are hard to come by, so they prefer to use them for week long guests. I think Skeena Spey might have this option now though.

2. Skeena Spey or Nicholas Dean may have some options for you that aren't full week trips. Again angling days are hard to come by, so you may end up being on the Skeena proper as they may not want to use up a Copper or Kalum day on a couple day trip. Contact Chad @ Nicholas Dean and Brian @ Skeena Spey to get some options. Ask them about where they'd take you as well. Nicholas Dean also does a week on the Skeena proper for cheap

3. A solid do-it-all rod is going to be something in the 12'6 to 13'6" 8 weight range. It will let you do everything, but being your first trip, odds are you'll just be skagit fishing anyway. Any heavier is a waste, any lighter may put you out of the game if not used to Spey fishing. The 8 is a good middle ground. While not cheap, the Sage One (or used Z axis) are great sticks with lots of love.

4. Worth bringing inflatable if you have it. I'd probably leave a drift boat at home as access is limited to a couple spots on the bulkley. If you're bringing an inflatable you'll want to put some thought to shuttles as its a lot harder then the Bow. And yes, jets do rule the bulkley but there are lots of runs..having an inflatable just opens a bit more water, and is definitely worth doing

5. Late Sept is prime time for both locations. Odds are you're going to lose 1-3 days to blown out water regardless of location, so be ready to move around and you'll be ok. Bulkley above telkwa is less prone to go out, but it is also the busiest stretch of water by far, especially if everything else is blown out. I would however recommend finding somewhere you like and trying to figure it out, even in marginal conditions for at least 3-4 days at a time. Chasing water conditions turns into a hell of a lot more driving then fishing occurring. marginal is better then being in your truck.

• Like 1

Contact skeena Spey, great guys. You can also take a couple lessons with them. I did that last fall when learning how to Spey cast. I then did 3 day trips with them spread over two different works trips out there. They don't necessarily reserve classified water days for their week long guests, they take you to what's been fishing best and what water clarity is best. Saying that, I spent one day on non-classified waters with them at the end of August and got a bunch of pinks, which I was happy with seeing as it was my first day ever Spey fishing. Then the end of October I spent one day on the kkalum with them where we got some ho's. The second day we spent on classified stretch of the skeena because it had the best clarity. At that time of year most guides are fishing the tributaries like the kkalum so we literally didn't see another person all day. The second day we accomplished what I have wanted to do since I was a small boy and caught my first steelhead. Now I'm hooked. Keep in touch as I know the area fairly well and am wanting to start getting out there at least for a week every fall.

bcube is right on the money with his post. A second for Nicholas Dean, I've had many great trips with them. Some of the best guides in the area, and access to great water, but as noted with a short number of days with them, you'll most likely be spending most of your time on the Skeena, which isn't a bad thing as everything has to come up it anyways. If you prefer warmer weather, last week of August, first week of September is best, with opportunities at steelhead, and almost all the salmon except fresh chinook. Later on into September you can concentrate more on steelhead and coho. I've lost at least a days fishing every time I've went due to high dirty water, it's impossible to predict the rains, (or commercial openings for that matter) so have plenty of Scotch and be prepared to do some fly tying until things clear up a bit. Thankfully, you can fish the Skeena and be quite successful with a few inches of visibility.

If you're looking to save a few bucks and get in a ton of fishing, then the Nicholas Dean Skeena camp is a great way to go.

I have a few rods, reels and lines that I'd be willing to sell that I've used on my trips, send me a PM if interested.

Awesome - will get in touch with Nicholas Dean and Skeena Spey and see if they've got anything open that might work.

Mikeo2 - will definitely be in touch when I book.

Knotlikely - I might take you up on that - will be in touch once I figure out what I'm doing.

2 hander isn't an essential if you are tight on funds. A single hand 8wt works fine. 2 hander just makes the casting more fun and you get to learn something new

My biggest 1 hander is my 7 weight streamer rod, so I think I might be a bit undergunned... Like you suggested, I think it will be cool to learn the spey/skagit casts... I realize i might be acting like a schoolgirl, but I kind of want to lose my steel-ginity on the 2 hander.

My biggest 1 hander is my 7 weight streamer rod, so I think I might be a bit undergunned... Like you suggested, I think it will be cool to learn the spey/skagit casts... I realize i might be acting like a schoolgirl, but I kind of want to lose my steel-ginity on the 2 hander.

You can find some pretty decent used spey rods out there. It can be tough to try them before you buy so lots of guys sell lightly used rods that they discover they don't really like after a few months.