Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Solstice Fish Out?

WesG

Clive? I believe that I had the date wrong last year based on some type of calendar technicality. So is the solstice on the Friday or Saturday this year? It better be saturday casue then I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!

Wes the solstice fish out was correct last year -- we had the date right in '06. The exact moment of the solstice is when the earth's tilt reaches a maximum, stops and starts its return tilt--resulting in longer days in the N hemisphere. Even tho we are still in for three more months of the shack nasties. :D

As you know, the earth has 24 time zones and just because the solstice is on (say) a Wed in England (GMT..zulu time) does not mean that is its Wed here yet. Just like this year. The solstice is at 6:08 AM on Saturday Dec 22 at the prime meridian, i.e. Greenwich (pron. Grenich) or GMT in England and all other world regions in that time zone. But that is 23:08 Dec 21 MST here. :angry:

So the moment of the change is on Dec 21 in this time zone. We should all be most nervous messing with the gods on this matter and we technically are breaking some cosmic rules by pretending the solstice is on Saturday Dec 22 --- when the earth starts its tilt change at 11:08 PM on Dec 21. It is not good to mess with these things you know ... could bode poorly for the 08 fissin' season. :unsure::(

However, if enough folks want it on Saturday Dec 22 ... then so be it. I am guessing we will have to bag it this year anyway. It's gonna be cold cold cold by late December.

adc is cranky about caving to the masses -- he's already emailed me from China about this. So we may go the day before anyway ... to appease the gods :) and get everyone off the hook. ;)

Hey I dont want to pretend about anything..... you shoud'nt mess with the gods..... especially the fish gods. All I am saying is if it just so happens that you make it for saturday, I am there. In fact it would be a great beginning to my X-mas holidays.

I think we should do it on Saturday officially .. more can come then. AND if we are up to the task and the weather is okay we can go on the official solstice day (Friday) just to ward of any evil repercussions from the fish gods--we can't be pissing anyone off now can we? Then we are covered. I'll see if I can make a "poster" in the next couple of days.

I am still taking bets on cold weather tho.

what odds are you giving clive? :P

DBT .. I got a fin at 2 to 1 that sez it will be well below fishing temps. I'm thinking -20 or more by late December. Not warmer than -10 on Dec 22. Wanna risk ten bucks on it? I lose $5 or you lose $10. You on?

La Nina looms. Coldest winter in South America in decades.

La Nina will rear her chilly arse soon.

BAH!!!!! I am willing to bet it wont be colder then -10, but I doubt it will as warm as +10 either.... besides, add another layer under those waders and wear some golves and a touque! I have got a nice big cigar lined up for the day already.

Wes .. If you have TWO cigars, I'll come no matter how cold..or not. I quit in July but smoked a few while we were at Whitetail in Sept. Quit since then. I could be talked into a good cigar on the solstice. And if it is -20°C ... I'll have DBT's sawbuck to buy one. :)

Wes .. If you have TWO cigars, I'll come no matter how cold..or not. I quit in July but smoked a few while we were at Whitetail in Sept. Quit since then. I could be talked into a good cigar on the solstice. And if it is -20°C ... I'll have DBT's sawbuck to buy one. :)

It just so happens that I do.... one of which is a Partagas.... I cant recall what the other one is.