Fly Fusion Forums

Training Dog To Be Around Water?!?

Help guys!

I have an awesome 3 year old female Golden retriever. She's well trained and quite intelligent, at home that is. I can train her just about anything indoors but get her outside, namely around water and she gets way too excited she becomes completely disobedient and completely ignores me and my commands. I know goldens love the water but its a shame I cant take her fishing with me. She basically acts like a completely out of control animal. Even in my little motor boat she wont settle down and constantly wants to jump out. I'm not a dog trainer by any stretch and would appreciate any input any of you have. Hell id pay for proper training if I had to as i know id love to have her as a companion to come along on my fishing adventures with me.

Please help guys!!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

I'm curious to see where this thread goes, as I have a 3 month old lab that I'm hoping will grow in to a fishing companion. I've seen what you are describing in my own pup, if he gets distracted all manners are gone instantly. I've had some success by taking a command that almost always works (sit) and if he starts to spin out I make him sit, refocus on me and then we try what ever we're doing again. It takes time, but it seems to be working. Try introducing one element at a time eg. go through your commands like sit, stay, come when you are wearing your vest/pack, then vest/pack and waders, then vest/pack waders and a rod, etc. so that everything but the water becomes normal. Then you can work on teaching her stream manners when you are out and about. That's my plan, anyway.

Tire your dog out before you take them fishing. I bring a ball in my fishing pack and play some fetch with my dog before I make a single cast. I also take lots of breaks to give him attention and play a bit more fetch. Start with shorter trips then gradually work up to full days. I started with walk and wade only, then introduced him to boats, though he still doesn't like drift boats because there isn't a flat bottom to lie down on. He does great in a flat deck jet and on the back of my Watermaster.

20644412188_fdbbf10b5b_c.jpgIMG_20150731_084455 by Marc Fossi, on Flickr

• Like 1

This does look like a good thread. I would vote for similar things to BC in his post. Tire them out before you go for sure, I find my dog is far more attentive when she is pooped out before we go. Hike in for a bit first - this will give your dog a chance to rip a bit and maybe you see new water.

Secondly, ( I only have experience with one dog) I would also try to build a trust and not power over them - this is only my opinion but I think it's waaaaay easier to build a trust ie: make the dog know if it does something right, something good will happen, Instead of trying to be it's 'alpha male'. At first I used treats but quickly moved to lots of affection so the dog knew I was in charge but that she would be rewarded. I am sure there are a million ways to do it but that's what worked for mine. Pretty much make it your four legged best friend.

Nice pup BC!

I'm old school. train her to be obedient on every command. say the command once. if not obeyed you have to say it again and enforce it. sit means sit until you say your release word. tell her to sit on the bank while you cast a run. Command to get in the boat or get out but only when you say. I did it with my dawg (RIP) and she was great to fish with. Book I used was The 10 Minute Retriever (and others). Highly recommend it.

Admittedly the one thing I could not train of her was trying to retrieve jumping fish. From the boat she was solid but on shore nope she's gone at first jump.

I'd say you have your work cut out for you with a 3 year old. I've heard people say good things re training retrievers by Ringneck Kennels in Strathmore if you want to pay to get it done.

Brndawg is spot on. Say it once and if not obeyed you have to enforce the second time. To be fair its good to let them run a bit before you start training as they will get more attentive once the initial excitement wears off. If I started giving commands soon as I let her out of the truck I'm more likely to have to give a correction. Never give a command the dog doesn't understand and never give a command you are not willing to correct if not obeyed. Hardest part about training is being consistent. A book that really helped me is "Don't shoot the dog".

• Like 1

It is a long road ahead. I started my dog at about 8 weeks at the river and keep him on the shore out of the water. Easy till he learned he liked water. A lot. He's a lab. Now his rule is he does not pass me. Also You have to remember that they are just as excited to be out on the river as u at so tough love and some understanding are needed. One other Tip would be to get a 20' lead and attach to your waist to help him learn where u want him to stay.

My dog and I have been on several training runs this week. I get all dressed up, but I do not do much fishing. I have a 1 year old Border Collie(BC)/Australian Cattle Dog(ACD) mix. For the most part, my dog is amazing. He does not bark (unless it is night time and the furnace starts...sigh). He listens well. He has mastered all the basic obedience. My wife works directly with the dog no less than 7 hours per week with obedience. My wife also takes him bird watching, so he is learning to stay close and non-disruptive.

Being a BC (and basically still a puppy) means he has oodles of energy to burn. For the last few nights, I have given him a carte-blanche to see what his natural behaviors are. For the most part, he is naturally inclined to stay close---to a fault. Wading seems to somewhat confuse him.

Now, everyone has their ideologies, but research has shown, regardless of being a human or dog, it is critical to reward positive behaviors. My dog is really play focused. So the first time we went, after 10 minutes of good behavior, we would interact and play for 5 minutes. The next time, after 15 minutes, we played. When we are moving spots, we play a little.

But tonight, something new happened. I caught a fairly nice brown. As soon as the fish jumped, my dog jumped into the river and was barreling downstream after it. This resulted in a stern scolding. But I think it will take a few more scoldings---he was pretty amped with what he had done.

I would make sure his prey drive is under control. Chasing deer/geese/wildlife should always be taken very seriously.

As far as the water fascination, I find it best to get to the river and give him the first 20 minutes of go-time. After that, he is not permitted in the water unless I say it is OK. This might not be the best action, but it seems to be working. A water dog like a Lab will probably never be able to break the fascination.

It is pretty fun to have him around. I hope to get around with more fishing.