Fly Fusion Forums

2016 Yellowstone Angler 8-Weight Shootout

Good read! I always find it interesting how much love the BVK 8 gets where the 5 WT is apparently just too stiff for its class. As someone who doesn't cast a ton of different rods, that was my first realization that different WTs of the same rod can vary dramatically against its competitors.

• Like 1

I've always thought they should divide the total performance ranking by the price, instead of rating the price on the same scale... But I still find the reviews entertaining, and somewhat useful (turned my attention to the one peice hardy, which is amazing). would love to all 20 rods army disposal to cast though!

It does break down to the opinion of the casters particular style in the end.

Yup, exactly this. I know there's a lot of love for the H2, BVK, and NRX but when I've cast these rods I didn't like them at all for my style of cast. Not saying that these are bad rods, they just don't work for me. Another thing to always keep in mind with these shootouts is the line being used to test them with. This test is with a bonefish line so the ratings might not translate if you plan on using your 8wt with an Outbound Short for steelhead. I think they do their 5wt test with a GPX so those results will go out the window if you mainly use something like a double taper presentation line for size 16 and smaller dries.

• Like 1

I have read these Yellowstone Angler Shootout's for some years, I bought my Zenith in 2011 based on thier results and findings. I like the rod and am glad I bought it. I find the reviews an enjoyable read, but who doesn't enjoy reading about new fly rods on a cold January night.

But, I own a couple other rods they absolutely lambast in later Shootout reviews, and I have wonder if they tested the same rods I own? For years, they scored Scott's way low, and same for many Sage rods as well.

Yet, many people own the very same rods above that came in almost last, they love them and will defend their ownership of said rod to others who read this Shootout stuff and ask them, 'why would you buy a rod that came in so low?"

Sage Accel is a prime example, Yellowstone (George) hates it. Yet, other online reviews, all think its great. I know several people who own them, and THEY think they are great. I have casted both the 486 and the 590, and both were a pleasurable tool to spend the day with. Would I use it to cast a double bug rig from a boat on a windy day? No. But both those rods are pretty much fine for everything else. They are light, put the fly where I want it and are roll casting machines.

As Marc says above, a simple line change can and will bring many a rod to life. One needs to lawn cast the rod himself. Ask the shop to change the reel to one with a different line. Cast it for 10 minutes..... take a break, put it down, put a target out to the range where you normally cast, and test it again. Take one of your own rods with you, cast it after test casting your potential new purchase. How does the old one feel? Put it down and try the new own. Take a buddy with you, ask him to watch your backcast on both rods. Is it straightening out for the same for both? Can you feel the load on the backcast? Some call it the tug of love....it will be imperceptible on a fast rod, but it will be there. Can you feel it? You may have to get a bunch of line out to feel it on a very fast rod. Doing the above is much better than reading rod reviews on the Internet.

Anyway, I am glad that Yellowstone is giving Scott some credo......

• Like 2

Keep in mind ones thoughts on a rod will vary depending on what you use regularly.... if you use a super fast action (Sage TCR) you likely won't like slow actions unless you slow every thing down vice versa if you always use a glass or bamboo... generally slower and softer you wont like a fast action... its all subject to the user and although the shootout is more independent than most tests in magazines..do they still make those?....at the end of the day they are trying to sell rods whether in a shop..aka Yellowstone Angler or advertising in a magazine in which case they don't like to pan anything too much