Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Around Calgary During The Stampede????

DanTCook

Hi Calgary Crew,

I was going to PM someone with this question......but figure I´ll just post it here instead. I just checked and the Stampede is EXACTLY when I plan on coming through town for the first time.

I´ve never been to the Stampede........but am wondering if it would be a good idea to skip it and return at the end of August to do the bulk of the Calgary-area fishing? I´m sure it is a hell of a good time ´n all......but I´m also sure accomodations, including campgrounds, are packed to the gills. Plus I find it somewhat annoying to have to stand in a line for 20 minutes to get a cup of beer.

Please advise on the intelligence of trying to fish around Calgary during the splendor of the Stampede.

Gracias,

Dan

It can be some of the very best fishing of the year on the Bow. Normally the first week of July sees some very prolific hatches, including golden stones and thick evening caddis hatches. The water is usually still fairly high and cool, and the trout are quite active.

Late August the water can be low, it can be +30C every single day, and the fishing can be very poor (unless you like night fishing). However, you might get some terrific hopper fishing... although for some reason the last few years haven't been quite as good on hoppers as it can be.

Do you plan on just the Bow? or are you camping and hitting cutthroat streams too? give us some more info. :lol:

Dan, come for the Stampede and the fabulous fishing that will be found on the Bow at this time of the season. The Stonefly/Caddis hatch will be in full swing and you won't want to miss it. It will be worth the headache. We'll see what we can do for your accomodations as well.

Ooohh just read the other post. Hey anything you want when your around, just ask. If you want to try the Crowsnest River, by all means... I just happen to know a few spots. *wink* I'm sure Toolman, Max, and myself, and a lot of members on this board , can show ya some great fishing. :lol:

Like Max and others have said, the stones have been awesome the last few years around then.

If the river is still high and dirty you can float it and bomb the banks with streamers and clean house.

There are very few people fishing it and it's the best time of year to nail a big brown (though they don't compare to Jurassic fish).

Guest bigbadbrent

Yeah probably one of the best times to fish it, just due to the amount of people who are stampeding instead of fishing...usually some awesome weather too

caught my first brown on the bow this year during stampede on a drift with a golden stone. great action all day. excellent time to fish.

but if you'd like there some gorgeous small cutty streams south of the Crow, some very secluded areas, not a lot of traffic, could hit those on a weekend and not see a person around, then pass you off to Hawg, Max and Toolman for mid-week Crow action. best part of next july will be that the area i usually go was closed for all of august and most of september, the fish havent been bothered much this year. hope for a short memory and hungry fish, they should be very active in early-mid july as the eastern slopes will only have been open for a few weeks by then.

as for the city, hardly shuts down, the grounds themselves are a zoo but the rest of the city, you dont need to spend 20 mins waiting for beer or food. but it is a heck of a party

Well.......I guess that settles that......I´ll be taking in my first Stampede in July 08!

I´d be interested in fishing as many rivers/streams as possible during my stay. Anything from hike-ins to drift boats is fine by me.

Thanks to all for their responses and information.

Cheers!

hike-ins. there is one hike accessable golden trout lake, the trailhead is not far from the castle mountain resort. and it can be done in a day. i havent fished it and i would just slow you down, but i know a few people who have - fish dont get much action but they are really picky. not too many places you can fish for golden trout. a few limited lakes in southern alberta and california? i could probably find out the name as it escapes me currently and where the trailhead is on a map.

there are also a few grayling lakes too not far out of town. quarry in canmore, wedge in k-country and bear pond. the first two no hike, just a stroll. bear - best to have a pontoon but dragging it up the bloody hill SUCKS!!! otherwise the walk should take normal people only 10 -15 minutes