Fly Fusion Forums

How Not To Release A Fish

Hey, This guy put it on the world wide super information ultra weby highway thinngy. Its his own fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW3fpA0wzAU

And no you dont " F&*^'n Rock"

just some tips.

keep fish in the water, do not drag up on the rocks.

and do not hold a fish up in the air for a photo while standing out of the water. stay in the water as they can flop out of your hands.

Use a net if needed.

Use barbless hooks.

Holding fish upside down sometimes keeps them chill

Wet your hands before grabbing trout.

Please add your own Catch and release advise at will.

Maybe my tone is a bit harsh.

I hope that anyone and everyone will take the tips and advise that can be offered through this forum to promote better catch and release practices. There are definately ways to ensure less stress to a fish that is about to be released. Please take the this information to heart.

Hey, This guy put it on the world wide super information ultra weby highway thinngy. Its his own fault.

And no you dont " F&*^'n Rock"

just some tips.

keep fish in the water, do not drag up on the rocks.

and do not hold a fish up in the air for a photo while standing out of the water. stay in the water as they can flop out of your hands.

Use a net if needed.

Use barbless hooks.

Holding fish upside down sometimes keeps them chill

Wet your hands before grabbing trout.

Please add your own Catch and release advise at will.

lmao dude u rock...i hate to see this stuff..i wish we had more money invested in some simple diagrams in the regs or something me that would stop this sort of thing....should get up some photos on t main page maybe...dave wutta ya think?? shouldnt be to hard for toolman and i to find teh time once weather warms up......i for one am all against the whole beaching thing...ask my friends one of teh biggest things preach is buy a big net...maybe not freakin huge like mine bu a decent net witha 16+inch gap and a god 6-10" deep. spend the 100$ if possible....ive got a few not that i love fisknat has some killer wod nets with rubber mesh..let not mention those rocks along te wood either...freakin cheese graders on teh forarms teh highwood.......hate too see the vid cutting out when teh dude scrambles onteh release...osprey food :( ignorance is bliss but...

It is not a spin fisherman. It is a fly fisherman. (well...sort of)

Unless your draging up a 20 chinook on the banks of the mighty Fraser cause its goin straight to your freezer, there should never, ever, be a need to drag a fish up on the rocks or beach a fish in my humble opinion.

The rocks of the highwood have left permanant deep gouges in a watch that I wear. Actually cut the friggen glass face from creepin around those canyons. Imagine what that would do to a tender trout.

The guy might as well have given the fish a DDT or a Stunner to "settle it down" enough to take out the hook and half his face.

And Ron Howard behind the lens is just as guilty.

Hey Greg. I dunno if you and max should do a release video... unless Max holds the fish LOLOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(inside joke, but every time Greg holds a fish for a pic with me behind the camera, it's flapping around somewhere or it's gone for a swim....lol ... the fish pick up an extra 95% slime factor or something)

The term, "beaching", often used when refering to the method of landing fish without a net, does not mean dragging it up on the rocks. It means bringing the fish into shallow water and keeping it under water while removing the hook...

beachin is beachin...and yes im goin g too yell at u every tim ei see you do it greg...like earlier this week...u got a good net..USE IT

Here' a taste:

default.jpg

Yikes, is that a bull? There's also a clip on youtube that was posted on FFA of some guy landing a brown with the drag-onto-the-bank technique on the Bow. I've seen lots of nice trout landed in that manner at the dam hole on the Elbow. It's a damn shame.

I agree that knowledge of proper catch-and-release techniques needs to be more widespread. Forums like this are great for learning about these kinds of things, but of course not all anglers post here and I think some people use poor landing techniques simply because they don't know any better.

beachin is beachin...and yes im goin g too yell at u every tim ei see you do it greg...like earlier this week...u got a good net..USE IT

I bring in one trout out of a hundred hooked &released, into water that was a little shallow (was'nt wearing waders) and this is the basis for your public flogging....thanks Max...

bring on the cheap shots "bruther"...

Hawg, you too?...Man, you think you know who your buds are...then this happens.

Well I think it's just envy...grin...

I bring in one trout out of a hundred hooked &released, into water that was a little shallow (was'nt wearing waders) and this is the basis for your public flogging....thanks Max...

Hey I was just teasing you mang................ relax. :P

I envy you Toolman..

Um, the video wasnt made by "toolman"... incase your confused here. A few of us that know toolman kinda ribbed him, and that's not where this thread was intended to go. Apologies. Back on topic.

I agree on the use of a large net as Max suggests. Or keep 'em in the water. Beaching is OK if the beaching is done in a foot of water. I think we tend to get a bit too crazy on the handling of fish. If you guys are going to *hit on this guy for his landing of that fish, then please get on the people who continually post photo's in the photo's section, of fish laying on the rocks / in the mud / on leaves / on ice. Don't just get on one guy that posted a video. there's enough blatant misrespect of the fish *AMONG US ON THIS FORUM* to be worried about.... sadly..... :(

Guest bigbadbrent

I can gaurentee that brown i took a pic of where he is on mud, is going to do a LOT better then that bully....why? First, he was kept in the water until my camera was booted up and ready to go, and its MUD, not cheese grater rocks (which is EXACTLY what they are, max is 100% right. I've fallen on those and cut myself really really badly..) . AND its flopping its head around on the rocks...

Um, the video wasnt made by "toolman"... incase your confused here. A few of us that know toolman kinda ribbed him, and that's not where this thread was intended to go. Apologies. Back on topic.

I thought that at first too.. but I think he was just calling the guy in the video "a tool", not referring to toolman.