Fly Fusion Forums

Bannick Bread...yumm

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

The question was asked on another board as to what the best bannick recipe was.

Any suggestions?

With fresh butter I can almost taste the fun.

Cheers.

Sun

Bannock Bread

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons baking powder

1/4 cup butter, melted

1-1/2 cups water

1. Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir to mix. Add the melted butter and water. Stir with a fork until the mixture forms a ball.

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for a minute. Pat into a flat circle that is 2 to 3 centimetres thick.

3. Cook in a greased or nonstick frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minutes per side. When it's browned on one side, flip it over using a pancake turner. Cook until browned on both sides.

4. To test if it's cooked, poke it with a toothpick. If dry crumbs stick to the toothpick, it's done; if wet dough coats the toothpick, let it cook a bit more.

5. Serve hot

6. I like mine with bacon or sausage chunks mixed in or with Jam

Bannock Bread

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter, melted

1-1/2 cups water

1. Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir to mix. Add the melted butter and water. Stir with a fork until the mixture forms a ball.

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for a minute. Pat into a flat circle that is 2 to 3 centimetres thick.

3. Cook in a greased or nonstick frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minutes per side. When it's browned on one side, flip it over using a pancake turner. Cook until browned on both sides.

4. To test if it's cooked, poke it with a toothpick. If dry crumbs stick to the toothpick, it's done; if wet dough coats the toothpick, let it cook a bit more.

5. Serve hot

Wow....I'm impressed.....very close to the recipe I've got. And jam RULES. Ain't nothing wrong with jam. Jam good.

So Chris.....wanna come over and bake me some then?!

Bannock Bread

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter, melted

1-1/2 cups water

5. Serve hot

I am suddenly VERY hungry. I may make some of this tonite, then dress my wife up in a Pocahontas outfit....

Since it's usually my job to take posts off topic, here is my attempt to get it back on.

pb190001su5.jpg

Made with BBT's recipe. Yummy, but I think I made it a bit thin (only 1/2 the recipe and it still took up much of the pan) because it cooked a bit quicker than the recipe. Also, just a touch salty, but I may have put a bit too much in. That said, there is none left. Kids tore it up. I tried some with Jam. Perfect! First time I've ever had Bannick Bread. Won't be the last

No pictures of Pocahontas. At least not on this website.....

Edit:

Figured out why it was salty. Teaspoon, tablespoon. One makes Bannick tasty. One makes Bannick salty. Guess which one I used.