Fly Fusion Forums

Fyi Presentation: Will Coal Mining Once Again Impact The Crowsnest Pass Economy?

The Southern Alberta Council on Public Affairs (SACPA) has regular mtgs in Lethbridge and host a range of speakers.

Visit the SACPA website: http://www.sacpa.ca

This is a PSA only and I won't be replying to comments.

Clive

Will Coal Mining Once Again Impact the Crowsnest Pass Economy?
Benga Mining Ltd has applied to the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and Canada Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA) for approval to develop a 4 million tonne per year metallurgical coal mine at Grassy Mountain, 8 km north of Blairmore, Alberta. The site of the proposed Grassy Mountain Coal Project is a historical open pit mine that operated from the late 1940’s to the early 1960’s. It will be the first coal mine in the Crowsnest Pass in 50 years and arguably bring much needed economic and social stimulus to the area over an anticipated 20 some years. The project, if approved, will produce high quality coking coal for the overseas steel manufacturing market.

The Grassy Mountain Coal Project, like any resource development project, raises social, economic and environmental concerns. Many of these issues are addressed in the project application and supporting Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) document. The proposed project application and supporting EIA is currently undergoing both provincial and federal regulatory review which is expected to culminate in a joint (Federal-Provincial) Regulatory Review Panel Hearing within the next 18 months to decide if the project can proceed.

The speaker will provide a brief description of the proposed Grassy Mountain Coal Project, including a bit of history of the site and its legacy. He will also briefly discuss the regulatory process underway and some of the key issues and concerns facing the project including how to manage the social license for resource development i.e. finding the balance between conflicting social, economic and environmental values before proceeding with resource development.

Speaker: Cal Clark
Cal Clark is responsible for environmental management, regulatory affairs, community engagement and First Nations collaboration as manager of sustainable development for Benga Mining Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources. Previously, Cal was with Cenovus Energy working on developing environmental management strategies to address key issues and enhance environmental performance related to their oil and gas operations.

Cal holds a Bachelor of Science in Ecology (University of Guelph), and a Master of Education (University of Calgary) and has a career spanning more than 25 years in forestry, mining and energy sectors. Cal is married with three children and has recently relocated from Calgary to the Crowsnest Pass.

Moderator: Knud Petersen
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2016
Time: 12 - 1:30 P.M. (30 minutes each for presentation, lunch and Q & A)

Location: Country Kitchen Catering (Lower level of The Keg) 1715 Mayor Magrath Dr. S

Cost: $11 (includes lunch) or $2 (includes coffee/tea)

• Like 2

I created a Facebook page, "Coal Mining in the Oldman Headwaters" as a library of information regarding this proposal. This will be the first project of it's kind in the area to face a full environmental review since the raising of Westslope Cutthroat Trout to the Canada Gazette. It is extremely important to the welfare of our native fish stocks that this review be handled in the best possible way with input from all stakeholders. Please visit the page, give it a like if you do as I will be updating the page with all new information as it become available. Contrary to the deadline noted on the AER's website, there has in fact been an extension granted for "Statements of Concern" to the AER regarding the mine's operational permit; the new deadline is January 15, 2016. I am working to have the AER's website updated with the latest deadline.

All disagreements aside, our native fish need their anglers to step up here. We are few in the headwaters; you are many and we need your voice.

Thanks, Kevin Turner

• Like 2

I'm quite surprised that any proposed mine is going ahead. Within the last year, Tumbler Ridge has shut down, Grand Cache has shutdown, Tech Coals operations in SE BC are operating at partial capacity.

Why would anyone.propose a mine in the face of reduced sales and sale prices dropping from $320/t > $80/t.

Damn weird.

Don.

• Like 5

Don is exactly right.

My employer sells lab equipment to the coal industry and it's a bleak picture for the foreseeable future. As in many years. Tumbler Ridge, Willow Creek, Grand Cache, Obed Mountain are all mines that have shut in the last couple of years. Teck is trying to cut costs and may close Coal Mountain Mine, so I can't see any reason for anybody to open a new mine, unless somehow, somebody expects to get some sort of Government handout. Otherwise, the metrics just are not there. A commercial coal lab in Richmond BC shut down and moved back to Australia, SGS delayed opening a coal testing lab in Prince Rupert indefinitely. World is awash in coal right now. There has to be more to this story...pump n dump penny stock ploy???

• Like 6

Devils advocate here... what is worse? A functioning mine with modern environmental cleanups, corrections and oversights in place or an abandoned 50 yr mountain top coalmine dumping god knows what into the watershed?

If you're going to play devil's advocate, expect someone to join in..

I agree that the technology is there now to actually do things a lot better. Reclamation techniques are pretty damn impressive now, but the oversight? Hardly.

(oh, and I haven't done a day in "eco" tourism in 4 years)

And don't expect the old SOB not to fire in return...

Oversight is what organizations like TUC and Riverkeepers were created for, shouldn't have to been all industry and/or government.

And don't expect the old SOB not to fire in return...

Oversight is what organizations like TUC and Riverkeepers were created for, shouldn't have to been all industry and/or government.

That's great, except for the fact that organizations like TUC don't have the financial resources to do what you are talking about. It's on the government to make sure industry plays by the rule, and it is on industry to play by those rules. Oversight and regulation is exactly what government should be doing.

• Like 2

Right, since TU has the capability (or mandate..) to monitor and do the oversight on multi-hundred-million dollar projects.

Sorry, this is completely on the government. If they want to give permits to allow development on (what at one time was) public property, that has a direct effect on public resources (water..), then yeah, they should be doing oversight, and should be doing it a lot better.

If you're going to play devil's advocate, expect someone to join in..I agree that the technology is there now to actually do things a lot better. Reclamation techniques are pretty damn impressive now, but the oversight? Hardly.(oh, and I haven't done a day in "eco" tourism in 4 years)

It's worth reading up on what kind of fish mitigation has been required on other Alberta mines, especially over the past 5 years. Technology has come a long way, and enforcement has been tougher than most realize. A few high profile screw ups have changed that industry greatly. There has been some wicked fish habitat compensation projects completed, not just put and take holes in the ground anymore. The cost of business is way up, another reason this project seems odd economically. Maybe looking for a government buy out of leases as has occurred west of here? I think its a tad suspicious. That's another discussion though, I have read this EIA and a few things stand out as big expense to deal with issues. Pretty thorough for those that take the time to have a look. Time will tell what's going on here.

• Like 1

My original question still stands; What is worse? A functioning mine with modern environmental cleanups, corrections and oversights in place or an abandoned 50 yr mountain top coalmine dumping god knows what into the watershed?

Ultimately I would select the remediation or decommission of the site over those two options, especially with the future of coal under the new government.

If I had to pick the two options you outlined, I'd pick a functioning mine with appropriate oversight/regulation.

Taco, you continue to make statements you lack the information to make; this doesn't help our fishery anymore today than it did yesterday. You have so much good knowledge that could benefit the fishery, why do you waste it?

The issue of ultimate liability on Grassy Mountain is complex due to legal matters I simply cannot speak of at this time as I am involved in the investigations. I doubt the lawyers themselves have figured it all out yet.

Rest assured, I have been informed by some of the investigating bodies that Riversdale Resources/ Benga Mining will be responsible for the mitigation of the mid-July 2015 release of coal and other substance from the east flank of Grassy Mountain which entrained deleterious substances into Gold Creek.

I've just posted an outline for "Statements of Concern" to the Alberta Energy Regulator on the page. It was written by a scientist in the field and has been provided for all to use.

There are many people working hard to protect our water supply, and thereby our native salmonids behind the scenes; I can't wait to be able to thank them all publicly.

-KT

Taco, you continue to make statements you lack the information to make; this doesn't help our fishery anymore today than it did yesterday. You have so much good knowledge that could benefit the fishery, why do you waste it?

The issue of ultimate liability on Grassy Mountain is complex due to legal matters I simply cannot speak of at this time as I am involved in the investigations. I doubt the lawyers themselves have figured it all out yet.

Rest assured, I have been informed by some of the investigating bodies that Riversdale Resources/ Benga Mining will be responsible for the mitigation of the mid-July 2015 release of coal and other substance from the east flank of Grassy Mountain which entrained deleterious substances into Gold Creek.

I've just posted an outline for "Statements of Concern" to the Alberta Energy Regulator on the page. It was written by a scientist in the field and has been provided for all to use.

There are many people working hard to protect our water supply, and thereby our native salmonids behind the scenes; I can't wait to be able to thank them all publicly.

-KT

Well, up until now no effort has been made to clean up that mess. If you are part of the legal investigations then wouldn't your role with TU attacking the project be a conflict of interest/ inappropriate as well? Seems like a confusing way to get around discussing the fact no one was liable for that mess until very recently. Taco asks a legitimate question in this case. I don't see the project happening but it would be great to see that eyesore vegetated/ remediated in some way so maybe new development would be the best route.

• Like 1

There's no conflict, I'm just being overly cautious to insure best practice; I simply can't be calling a lawyer every time before I post. If you guys want, come down. The road has been ploughed and I have access; I'll show you the site, explain what I can, and show the hundreds of pictures I have that are not part of any other concern. Then you guys can decide for yourselves let everyone here know what you saw. Sound like a solution?

In regards to TUC, both the Oldman River Chapter and the national position can be found on both the chapter's website and Facebook page.

Well then once you force the cleanup of the Grassy mine site then you can start working on the strip mine on Racehorse that closed in the 70`s, That one not as bad but god knows what was buried when they remediated that one to standards of the time.. There`s also an abandoned galena mine on the Alberta side of Mt Gass. I think they walked away from that one in the mid-late 40`s.

• Like 1

Taco,

I'd take an old mine over a new one so that I could clean up the place. Even though we have better inspections, *hit happens. I'd rather it was from one location and not two.

As far as monitoring industry activities, I must agree with others that it should be left to Govt. with the caveat that the industry must pay an inspection fee. The concern with Govt doing the job if often they don't. The reasons this happens are varied. However, in the event the Govt is not doing it's job, obviously someone else has too.

A recent example that a lot of us were pleased with Streamwatch. Certainly it was obvious to most anglers that enforcement didn't happen. Another method had to be found. Ergo - STREAMWATCH. As it was funded mostly by the private sector, political interference was difficult. But finally, like most things, the Govt go a bigger role and realizing that a success couldn't be tolerated, destroyed the concept.

To sum it, if society value something, they better figure out some way to make sure some idiot, group, business, Govt doesn't **** it up!

Catch ya'

Don

• Like 2

Well 80 plus yrs of same old same old government does induce complacency on everyone's part but we now seem to have a government that doesn't mind *hit disturbin'. Don't know if they're gonna last 4 or 8 yrs but for damn sure we won't be goin back to the old way of doin' things for some time.