Fly Fusion Forums

Alright Y'all.. Let's Do This Thing!!

birchy

Guest bigbadbrent

Maybe not the easiest, but the Wooly Bugger is probably the best fly to start with. It will teach you a lot about sizing, hackle sizing, palmering hackle...thats the fly i've taught more people as their first fly then any other

Now that I think about it.. I suppose the materials that I have are going to dictate what I tie first!! haha.

I have my "Fly Tying Bible" which is great.. problem is, I don't know what half of the materials I have are called. Some of the stuff is labelled.. most isn't.

dont worry about colour for now. i any feather hackle will do, any chenielle and any marabou. and you have will have a funky wooly bugger. i did throw in the bag of black marabou didnt i?

i know kerry threw in the beads, leave them be for a bit. i have more deer hair than i could ever use, so go nuts with those bags of hair. if you need more, just let me know. try an elk hair caddis with deer. play with the dubbing, and plamering hackle then add the deer hair. killer dries.

if the bible just gives patterns but no beginner stuff, try the concise hand book of fly tying by skip morris. very good for beginner skills

try - brassie, gold ribbed hare's ear, the adams.

streamers like the mickie finn are good and so are clousers.

the other book i started with was fly tying techniqus and patterns - try wallmart. if you cant find it there, wholesale has it.

oh yeah. and all the fur stuff that looks like it came from the animal and not a package, did. that is why it isnt labled. the 2 bags of deer are both mule. the long red feather is pheasant tail dyed red and the one that is natural that looks the same, is the same but well, umm, natural.

for the dubbing, most of it is seal fur, not synthetic. dont worry about matching exact colours. the yarn can be used as a substitute for dubbing.

i imagine the thread, floss and chenielle are straight forward.

the brown fuzzy strips are beaver, the black lumppy fuzzy thing that used to be a hat is fox, the fluffy feathers in the bag with black, white and bluish are ostritch hear. the really light and fluffy (olive green i think) are CDC. anything else that could pass for dog, is probably wolf. the clump of white very translucent longish fur is polar bear.

ummm. i cant remember what else was in there... we could play name that material, if you wanted to take pictures... LOL give us something to do

Guest Rocknbugs

Hey dude, go out and buy "Fly Tying Made Clear & Simple" by Skip Morris. P. 9 shows all the tools the names of them and what they are used for. P. 12 & 13 show all the feathers, hair, dubbing, thread etc. it shows everything. Then there is a page about hooks, parst of the fly IE. thorax, legs, wing case, tail etc. When done there you tie a Ricks Caddis this will be the easiest fly you can tie besides a San Juan Worm. This book shows you how to thread the Bobbin, how to dress the hook, everything. If you are just starting I would recommend this book it is very clear and concise. Dave at FishTales recommended this book to me a few years back and I used it alot mind you I just started the beginners fly tying course at FishTales and it has really started to clear things up for me alot. If you want I can lend you mine, this book is great for us beginners, give it a try.

Peace, Rock.

Guest Rocknbugs
Hey dude, go out and buy "Fly Tying Made Clear & Simple" by Skip Morris. P. 9 shows all the tools the names of them and what they are used for. P. 12 & 13 show all the feathers, hair, dubbing, thread etc. it shows everything. Then there is a page about hooks, parst of the fly IE. thorax, legs, wing case, tail etc. When done there you tie a Ricks Caddis this will be the easiest fly you can tie besides a San Juan Worm. This book shows you how to thread the Bobbin, how to dress the hook, everything. If you are just starting I would recommend this book it is very clear and concise. Dave at FishTales recommended this book to me a few years back and I used it alot mind you I just started the beginners fly tying course at FishTales and it has really started to clear things up for me alot. If you want I can lend you mine, this book is great for us beginners, give it a try.

Peace, Rock.

no laughing here, it is a decent attempt that will probably catch fish. try it out one day.

have fun and be creative

edit: you dont need dubbing wax. just wet your fingers a little bit and use a little bit of material at a time and spin on to the thread a little at a time.

try adding some deer hair as a tail to build on your skills

That is a dandy looking first fly, you'll definitely get fish with it. Bead sizes can vary for the same hook and pattern, depending how much flash effect you want and how fast you want the fly to sink. That bead looks fine to me. The first guy that ever watched me tie went home and tied up what he called the "pheasant feather fly". He used shoe stitching thread to lash down a chunk of pheasant tail at the eye and bend of the hook. I accepted the gift and caught a brown on it the next time I was out. Just experiment with materials and techniques and fish with the results. That's how great discoveries in tying are made. Welcome to the world of the only slightly demented.

Nothing to do with the fly (Nice BTW Birchy!)

What the heck is with the times noted for the posts in this thread..."Yesterday, 11:58 PM "

Huh! I posted just a while back..not 23 hours back. ????????

Am I losing it? Again? Still? :blink:

Birchy if you go to Canadian Tire and pick up a wax toilet gasket it will give you enough dubbing wax for the next two decades. It is soft beeswax and I have been using it for probably 15 years now. I think it will cost you 2 to 3 dollars if I remember correctly. Use a sucrets tin or something like it and put a bit into that and store the rest, or gice it away....

I have previously mentioned the Hook and Hackle Club, a good inexpensive way to learn how to tie flies, and interact with fellow flyfishers. But I understand that you are a new father and that does cut into the time available to be away on fish type activities. So you can always try out the show on channel 14 (PBS) at 7:30 AM on Saturday called "Flytying, the Anglers Art." The tyers have some great patterns, both established and new ones, and some really good tips on tying. Plus just by watching an accomplished tyer you really do learn a lot. Oh and that is a really great first tie on the BHGRHE.