Fly Fusion Forums

Soles Re-Felted On Boots?

I found a shoemaker that did an amazing job on a pair of leather boots I own.. I'm going to buy the felt soles and bring him my old boots and see if he'll do it! My leather boot repair was $35, and if he'll do my wading boots for even double that price, it would save me a lot of hassle, glued appendages and the inevitable glue high.

Surely to God there must be more than one semi-retired guy in the whole city of Calgary who can do it?!! A quick google search for shoe repair in Calgary reveals a place called "Fishman's"... by the name alone that should have some potential ;) We have a couple of shoe repair places down south, and I think I will connect with one of them this winter to see if they can tackle mine. Still have to fall off my wallet and buy the felts somewhere.

Thanks for the info guys... UberFly I did read that thread but didn't want to derail it as it was more directed toward vibram soles and what peoples recommendations were; as I don't use vibram soles I didn't know if the process differed or if felt could even be re-done anymore. I don't care for your attitude. RedBeard - to you, thank you sir. I must have missed that one in my search.

Jgib, I agree, looking at getting new felts sent up from Simms and holy CRAP especially with our dollar in the shitter - Guy might be better off just buying a new set of boots??

Wasn't purposely giving attitude (hard to convey via this medium)!

Sorry dude!

P

Thanks for the info guys... UberFly I did read that thread but didn't want to derail it as it was more directed toward vibram soles and what peoples recommendations were; as I don't use vibram soles I didn't know if the process differed or if felt could even be re-done anymore. I don't care for your attitude. RedBeard - to you, thank you sir. I must have missed that one in my search.

Jgib, I agree, looking at getting new felts sent up from Simms and holy CRAP especially with our dollar in the shitter - Guy might be better off just buying a new set of boots??

• Like 3

You are right - I misunderstood, it is hard to convey in writing. I apologize. Coming home from catching a trespasser on a coveted piece of hunting property I worked hard to get and blood was apparently still boiling. Am going to give Alpine Shoe a call to discuss once hunting season is over. Have a good evening and again I do apologize!

• Like 2

FYI, Fishman's various dry cleaning locations are drop points for a shoe maker that does not have a store front and does not deal directly with customers. I had some business shoes that needed repair and with Gary @ Alpine not available, was told by O'Connors Shoes that you cannot talk to the shoemaker but can drop at O'Connors or Fishmans and the shoes will get to him. So could be difficult to make that work for felt soles assuming he would even do that work.

FYI, Fishman's various dry cleaning locations are drop points for a shoe maker that does not have a store front and does not deal directly with customers. I had some business shoes that needed repair and with Gary @ Alpine not available, was told by O'Connors Shoes that you cannot talk to the shoemaker but can drop at O'Connors or Fishmans and the shoes will get to him. So could be difficult to make that work for felt soles assuming he would even do that work.

Fair enough... I just dug the name ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've re-soled my own boots a ton of times with regular contact cement. Even belt sanded the rubber nubs off a useless pair of Cloudveil 'feltless' boots to glue on and make them useful.

Never had a problem or separation. Sand, clean, glue, clamp overnight with duct tape or similar.

• Like 2