Fly Fusion Forums

I Need New Wading Boots!

That's fair enough, my experience is definately with the older Korker boots. Its good to hear, too - its always nice to have options!

I do have a narrower foot, and I still find that the Korkers fit fine for me. Much better than simms. I love the boots, but my foot swims in them.

I HAVE to get a boot with laces too, as with the BOA, by the time I get the laces tight enough at the top of the foot and the toe, I've lost feeling in my ankle......

Sidebar question, and sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good wading boot that also doubles as a good hiking boot? My Patagonia foot tractor predecessors are way too heavy, clunky, & blister producing for serious boot miles.

Ideally, I would like a boot that is good on the trail with wading socks, so I don't have to pack wading boots in addition to the hiking boots strapped to my feet. For hiking & wet wading, I used my hiking boots along with keens last year, but want something for double duty that I can use with waders.

Unless you believe all the crappy reviews, then you should go with the Patagonia Ultralights!! :P

I haven't seen any reviews of them but I wore a pair all summer and loved them. Put a lot of miles on them on a lot of different rivers too. Found they were comfortable and I have bad knees so that says a lot.
  • Like 1

Sorry Marc I was referencing the few reviews on here where they didn't last too long. But the Simms warrantee is pretty good so they should stand by any issues!

P

I haven't seen any reviews of them but I wore a pair all summer and loved them. Put a lot of miles on them on a lot of different rivers too. Found they were comfortable and I have bad knees so that says a lot.

I just went through this process, there are so many good boots out there now it is tough to find the right pair. Try on as many as you can, and walk around the store a little, to see how they feel. In my case I went for the Simms

Riverteck 2 with BOA, I liked that they were light, and had drain holes built in. I love the BOA system, I bought mine with felt soles, but with rubber soles they would for sure fill your need as a hiking boot. I have put about 40 days on them, with no issues what so ever.

Try as many as you can, and buy what suits, your specific needs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through this process, there are so many good boots out there now it is tough to find the right pair. Try on as many as you can, and walk around the store a little, to see how they feel. In my case I went for the Simms

Riverteck 2 with BOA, I liked that they were light, and had drain holes built in. I love the BOA system, I bought mine with felt soles, but with rubber soles they would for sure fill your need as a hiking boot. I have put about 40 days on them, with no issues what so ever.

Try as many as you can, and buy what suits, your specific needs.

The actual rubber used in those wading soles is (a) not very thick to begin with and (b.) very soft for gripping wet rock. As a result they wear out extra fast compared to any boot or shoe actually made to walk in. Just compare the thickness of a typical hiking vibram sole vs a wading rubber sole. Guess which one is 3X thicker? Unless you walk on grass only, the rubber soles do not last.

I had a pair of Simms Rivertek Boas completely fall apart in just over 1 season - seams and stitching. And on top of that I used the warranty to replace laces 6 times. I liked the fit and the ease of use, but they are not made for bush whacking. I stuck with Simms and after a longer, harder season of fishing my new G3 Guide boots still look brand new, except for worn out laces.

I have had a pair of G3s w/hardbites for 3 1/2 yrs now and I walk a minimum of a 70km/yr. Just had a look at them and they're likely good for a couple more yrs but I should replace the hardbites

At least laces are only a few bucks to replace and a spare pair don't take up a lot of space in your pack or vest. I use these as replacements and haven't ever had a pair break: http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks/footwear/footwear-accessories/54-lace-38653

You posted this some time ago, and I just go out and buy a pair for any new boot I get. Hardly even wear down, let a lone break.

• Like 1