Fly Fusion Forums

Amazing Trip To The Nwt

PeteZahut

The last couple of years we have been talking about doing a trip up to the NWT. But due to a tough battle with Ulcerative Colitis I have been unable to do it. As I posted earlier in the summer about an amazing trip with Dave Jensen, this was a continuation of me taking my life back and doing what I want to do. So we packed up the camper and made the trek from Calgary to the NWT. We spent 13 nights as we camped along the way and then spent 8 nights in three different campgrounds up there. They sure now how to do a beautiful campground, pure pride! We didn't have much for weather but did manage a couple of nice days. I did manage to catch a couple of pike but the rivers were blown out so no grayling for me. Wonderful people up there too.

I think between my wife and I we took about 2000 photos and so picking ones to share was tough. So I decided to randomly pick a few to show the amazing scenery up there. Hope you enjoy.

NWT-6766.jpg

DSC_7441.JPG

NWT-6779.jpg

NWT-6786.jpg

NWT-6815.jpg

NWT-6917.jpg

DSC_7270.JPG

NWT-6825.jpg

NWT-7014.jpg

NWT-7023.jpg

NWT-7133.jpg

NWT-7151.jpg

NWT-7165.jpg

NWT-7167.jpg

NWT-7187.jpg

DSC_7513.JPG

DSC_7430.JPG

DSC_7390.JPG

• Like 8

It's funny, a number of people have said that about Bollocks. We had fine service and the food was amazing. Best fish and chips I have ever had. We chatted with the owner for quite a bit of time while she prepared bread for dinner. Wonderful lady, a little rough around the edges but an interesting character. We also made it to the Wildcat cafe for breakfast which was pretty awesome too.

• Like 1

Good on you! Great stuff. Thanks for the photos. All Canadians should be required to spent time north of 60, eh? Gives perspective on geography, immenseness, climate and our need to protect our North and to have a presence there.

I've been to NWT and Yukon five times and last summer spent one week in Nunavut to 70° N lat in the middle of nowhere. Lovely people, great geography. The far North has this huge mystique that is hard to explain.

Thanks!

Clive

• Like 2

Fully agree Clive. Now that I got a taste of it I want to go back up. Really would like to see some of the Yukon. That is awesome you made it up to Nunavut. I can imagine the vastness and mystique there is indescribable. One of my favourite moments is we spent an afternoon walking around a small Aboriginal village of 40 people talking with the locals. Pretty amazing as they were preparing for the big hunt. Blows me away the sense of community there. They had signs up on their tribal office asking for volunteers to go help on the hunt. They do that every year as they prepare for the winter. Pretty humbling. Made me a bit sad to see how we have advanced so far technologically basically separating ourselves from our community and then we have places like that where the people live simply and off what nature provides and seemed more happy then most here. I got some real perspective up there and so happy that I got to share that with my wife and daughter.

• Like 3

I spent three months working from around Mayo in the Yukon, up by the Mackenzie Delta, on the east and west shores of Great Bear Lake, then north of Yellowknife, over to Churchill and a bit in Northern Saskatchewan. All fly camping doing mineral exploration. Caught Pike, whitefish, grayling, and arctic char. One of the best summers of my life filled with all kinds of adventures. Plus I got paid to do it.

• Like 1