Fly Fusion Forums

'surfacing' Bull Trout

dberlando

Fished a SE BC stream this week where I've previously caught Bulls on large streamer patterns. There were frequent rises / rolls by large BT in several runs that we fished so the fish were there but they refused all offerings. Kokanee were starting to show up so perhaps they were keyed in on this food source, or do these large pre-spawners turn off feeding during their run up the river to spawning areas? Any idea when the spawning period is for these fish in SE BC as I don't want to harass them if they are doing their love dance?

I believe this happens with a number of salmonids just prior to spawning. The hormones are raging, gonads are nearly full and behaviors start to change. I remembering fishing with a BC steelhead guy on the Bow one spring and he told me that when the fish start breaking the surface it was time to fish egg patterns.

I would imagine there might be a few Bulls starting to make a some "test redds" already, but the peak is still about 3 wks away. One famous Bull stream has a closure in upper reaches starting Sept 1. That should tell you something

• Like 1

monger hit it on the head, I've also heard it said that migratory bulls like that rise when they get to new runs to see where they are. Obviously that's not the only way for them to know where to go but I have heard that from more than one person. Makes sense.

That's a load of Bull...... Couldn't resist it ...... I know on a lot of streams you will already see them paired up as early as mid August... I prefer to fish for them as early as I can as they are a lot more responsive to offerings although you can wait till November when they again are back in a feeding mode

• 5 months later...

BBH, SE BC bulls will start dropping back down as early as the 2nd or 3rd week in september. There is a paper on it online, but it names some creeks that not too many people know about, so I'll let those interested try to find it rather than post it.

• Like 1