Fly Fusion Forums

10' Rod In Heavier Weights

Anyone have experience or thoughts on the use of 10' rods in heavier weights, say 8wt and up? I'm looking for a pike rod, and noticed a 10' 8wt for sale here. That got me thinking about the actual benefits or challenges of a longer rod in this category. I've certainly read that there is some added benefit of longer rods for mending/line control, but that is probably moot for my purposes. Any other thoughts generally on the +/- of a ten footer?

I have several 10' sticks, I'm a real fan of them my only concern is throwing a heavy rod all day... if the stick is in the class of a Sage One or other high end stick there may not be an issue of weight. I find I have way more control with a 10' other than shorter sticks

Love my 10ft #5 wt. Single hand spey works well when confronted with the hihg banks/canyons / brush on the rivers south of here

Great mends for the dry and nymphing

I'm a fan of longer sticks,esp for swinging wets and streamers for steel,Atlantics etc.Not much of a pike guy,but I can't think of any disadvantage,only positives inherent to a 10'er vs. a shorter rod?

10' rods generally cast farther with less effort and,as already mentioned,offer a slight mending advantage.They also pick up more line better/easier when reloading for your next cast,and if you find yourself wading belly deep,the extra length helps in aerializing more line for false casting......or from a pike fishn perspective....perhaps from a belly boat,'toon,canoe,small boat?

8100 Zenith is my goto SH salmon/steel rod for swinging wets,bombers,skaters etc.There's not many waters where I feel under gunned with that stick,and usually only break out the Spey if I feel like hucking half chicken dumbells half ways across the river or getting down'n dirty with tips.

• Like 2

I have a 10ft BVK. Use is for lakes mostly. Casts awesome in the wind and distance is effortless. I could only assume that ones in higher wts would be comparable to my 5wt. I would even feel comfortable casting for hammer handles with my 5wt if I was presented the opportunity.

The problem I find is there just too dam heavy compared to the same weight rod in 9 foot.A nice fast action 8-9 wt in 9 foot is much easier on the arm for casting heavy rigs.

I guess I don't really cast heavy rigs with my Zenith anyhow,again,swinging wets and skaters mostly.

......but that said,based on your comment and outta curiosity,I looked up the specs for 10' vs. 9' 8wt Zenith.

8100......3.5 oz/102g

890........3.42oz/97g

I'll take the extra foot thanks, .08oz/5g is hardly a deal breaker.

• Like 2

I guess I don't really cast heavy rigs with my Zenith anyhow,again,swinging wets and skaters mostly.

......but that said,based on your comment and outta curiosity,I looked up the specs for 10' vs. 9' 8wt Zenith.

8100......3.5 oz/102g

890........3.42oz/97g

I'll take the extra foot thanks, .08oz/5g is hardly a deal breaker.

I think that example is maybe an exception to the weight difference. The ones I have been looking at in 9' versus 10' have tended to weigh in at about 1/2 an ounce difference. Maybe some other factors might come into play too, like balance point, and maybe a slightly larger size of a reel as a result (I'm really reaching here I think). But even accounting for all that, I'm not sure an amateur like me would notice even a half ounce difference over the course of an outing, would I?

It does depend on the rod,i had an eastfork 10' 6wt with an 8 wt reel to balance.I even had to add 2 colors of lead core line before the backing to get it to not be so tip heavy.I also had a 4wt 10' sage one it also needed a big heavy reel to feel right.

Its all what your use too I guess,and if tip heavy bothers you.

I have been using a 7100 and 8100 RPL for years and love them for slinging streamers from a boat or wading and actually find them to be a lot less work as the need to false cast is minimal particularly from the boat when pounding banks at this time of year.... mind you the RPL's are very fast action compared to some rods.....perhaps you could test drive first?

I have been using a 7100 and 8100 RPL for years and love them for slinging streamers from a boat or wading and actually find them to be a lot less work as the need to false cast is minimal particularly from the boat when pounding banks at this time of year.... mind you the RPL's are very fast action compared to some rods.....perhaps you could test drive first?

If you ever choose to unload those rods drop me a line I'll take them, I don't have any 10' RPLs