Fly Fusion Forums

Urge To Face-Punch Rising...

I've seen numerous guys ripping up the river there, as well as people loading trucks with rocks for their garden... Not sure what the city expected when there is free access along a gravel bar. Feels like bar fishing out west

So just to play devil's advocate for a second, how many people back their vehicles partially into the water when they launch or pull their boats out? How many people can say for sure that they don't have any fluids leaking from their vehicles when they do? It's pretty easy to internet shame this guy (and I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong) but I'll bet there are some fly fishermen leaking diff oil, grease, etc. into the water every time they use the boat launches.

Less impact, yes. No impact? Uh uh. This is one of the problems with internet shaming is that everyone jumps on the bandwagon so quickly for a good lynching that they don't think about the big picture. We've all seen some of the vehicles at the launches that don't look very well maintained. All I'm saying is that we should be checking our own vehicles too so we're minimizing impact, especially when you consider the hundreds of put-ins and take-outs every season. And I still think this guy should be fined.

I get what you are saying BurningChrome, but you’re talking pollution and I think what most people are taking exception to is the habitat damage/disruption caused by tires churning up the river bottom. If pollution is the issue we should talk stormwater management.

Combination of both really, and yes I agree 100% about the stormwater management. Lots of people in general might have been outraged when they saw that picture but then went out and washed their vehicle in the driveway and dumped the grey water down the storm drain when they were done. Like I said, easy to jump on the bandwagon over a picture of one guy, but then don't think about all the other *hit we do to this river on a regular basis.

• Like 1