Fly Fusion Forums

An Anglers Reaction To Ab Vote

Here are my key thoughts after the Orange Crush swept over Alberta:

- I worked really hard with a candidate that nearly lost to an NDP candidate that never set foot in the riding, wasn't an NDP member 4 months ago, and didn't know what communities made up her riding after the writ was dropped. If that doesn't send a message about the level of disdain for the PCs, I'm not sure what does. I'll note that I was working with one of the more popular PC MLAs that truly deserved to be re-elected.
- there is a historical precedent in this province that a fallen dynasties never recover. Will the PCs rally, or are the doomed to go the way of the UFA and SoCreds?
- I am floored by some of the PC MLAs that lost tonight. Candidates like Teresa Woo-Paw, Diana McQueen and Tomas Lukaszuk were as strong of MLAs as you could find in this province. Again, if those folks can't get re-elected, the problem is bigger than their candidacy.
- I am very disappointed in Jim Prentice. He announced his resignation before all polls had fully reported while some of his candidates were still in the midst of their own battles. We all knew Prentice would never stick around as an opposition leader, but I'm still disappointed none the less.
- The world is not going to end tomorrow. We have four years to see what happens, if Albertans don't like it, we get to make a new decision.
- Think a single vote doesn't matter? Ask the residents of Calgary-Glenmore. Linda Johnson (PC) and Anam Kazim (NDP) tied at 7,015 - 7,015. EVERY VOTE MATTERS.

Angles should be looking at this as an opportunity. The new ministers and MLAs are likely people that have given the fisheries file very little credence. I can see a scenario where this NDP government bolsters F&W with some additional funding and revamps the ERSD portfolio. Get those letters ready, I know I am.

• Like 7

Here are my key thoughts after the Orange Crush swept over Alberta:

- I worked really hard with a candidate that nearly lost to an NDP candidate that never set foot in the riding, wasn't an NDP member 4 months ago, and didn't know what communities made up her riding after the writ was dropped. If that doesn't send a message about the level of disdain for the PCs, I'm not sure what does. I'll note that I was working with one of the more popular PC MLAs that truly deserved to be re-elected.

- there is a historical precedent in this province that a fallen dynasties never recover. Will the PCs rally, or are the doomed to go the way of the UFA and SoCreds?

- I am floored by some of the PC MLAs that lost tonight. Candidates like Teresa Woo-Paw, Diana McQueen and Tomas Lukaszuk were as strong of MLAs as you could find in this province. Again, if those folks can't get re-elected, the problem is bigger than their candidacy.

- I am very disappointed in Jim Prentice. He announced his resignation before all polls had fully reported while some of his candidates were still in the midst of their own battles. We all knew Prentice would never stick around as an opposition leader, but I'm still disappointed none the less.

- The world is not going to end tomorrow. We have four years to see what happens, if Albertans don't like it, we get to make a new decision.

- Think a single vote doesn't matter? Ask the residents of Calgary-Glenmore. Linda Johnson (PC) and Anam Kazim (NDP) tied at 7,015 - 7,015. EVERY VOTE MATTERS.

Angles should be looking at this as an opportunity. The new ministers and MLAs are likely people that have given the fisheries file very little credence. I can see a scenario where this NDP government bolsters F&W with some additional funding and revamps the ERSD portfolio. Get those letters ready, I know I am.

I need to double like your post. Maybe now there is a chance some balance can now return to Alberta's fisheries.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The most interesting thing the NDP could ask is WHY ?

Over the years many 'decisions" have been taken that need to be scrutized by the single word WHY? Doing so will reverse see many of these decisions. After all the NDP is not beholden to many of the benefactors of these decisions.

Some examples would include:

1) Three Rivers Dam cost $900,000,000 and benefitted 90 landowners

2) Public Land held by grazing lease holders get paid surface disturbance. A local example where a 1/4 section may generate $10,000 to the lease holder who pays a pittance to the land owner - Joe Public.

3) Rubber stamping of every fresh water extraction permit by oil companies even if they bother to get a permit.

WHY - the cure for a lot of evils.

Don

• Like 4