Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Perception

I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone is looking at fly lines this spring. I got a RIO perception this year and I have to say it is the best line I have ever casted....... ever. I am casting the 6 wt on a hardy zenith. The way it loads and the amount of line I can shoot is just crazy. Because of this I am putting way less work into my cast and experiencing way less arm fatigue. It mends nicer than any line I have ever had and it has 2 tone color that indicates the taper for helping you understand how much line to have out for a proper load. I haven't noticed if it helps my hook up ratio, as that is their big marketing push that the line has no stretch so you are in contact with the fish more..... I haven't noticed any of that. I have just noticed that the line casts like nothing I have ever had the pleasure to cast. Now if I can get it to last for more than one season it will get 5 stars no questions. This line replaced my former favorite the SA GPX the problem with the SA is I was lucky to make it a whole season and it now falls short of the Perception. This all of course is just my opinion I have no deals with Rio I pay full price at local shops just like everyone else.

Guest bigdirty

I concur . I have Rio perception on my butterstick. It doesn't get much use so I can't comment on longevity, but it cast like a dream. Lots of feel.

I think the Rio grand perception would be nice in a fast action rod. I enjoyed casting the older Rio grand, but found it had some stretch to it.

• Like 1

It casts really well, but it only lasted a season before it cracked and would no longer float.

Cracks at the tip of a fly line are often caused by back casts hitting the rocks on the beach or bushes etc. Any cracks in the fly line will expose the core of the line, which will wick water causing the line to start to sink. I would suggest cutting the tip of the line back a foot or two if it has cracks and tying a new loop. Then seal with knot sense. Also, lines need to be kept clean to keep them floating high.

• Like 1

Perception is one of the best. I have run it since its release in late 2013 and have to comment on the cracking that I have not witnessed but I clean and treat my fly line on a regular basis which should be done like anything else, it only takes 5-10 mins! If you wash your car regularly why not your fly line. Only thing about the new rio lines I have a hard time believing is the "self lubricating " which rio boosts about perception.

With a 36' head like it's got it better shoot a country mile. I prefer a line with a longer head/belly because I rollcast a lot and the ability to pop 50' of line in the air makes me happier than 36' would specially with the softer rods I've been usin' lately.