Fly Fusion Forums

Cuba, Bones, She Spins, I'm Fly

The better half wants to do Cuba, and wants me to fish flats for bone. Well Okay, Hell yes. So got great info from FFC and a local shop. My concern is bone are spooky as is. I cast fairly well but will likely lay it down hard on the water a few times. I hear bones in Cuba are plentiful and for a first timer is the place to go to likely increase your odds of landing. My concern is my better half spins, and wants to fish as well,(No Problem.) Is it fair for me to assume the spinning lure would make enough slash to spook anything within a decent distance for me to cast a fly to. May just have to rotate time for each. Any input is welcome. Happy Either Way Paul

Are you going to hire a guide or DIY? If you go guided you will see many fish and catch enough to make you very happy. The guide will know how to get your wife into fish with some small shrimp like jigs or live bait (although the guides in Cuba know how to fish they dont have much in the way of gear so bring all you need and steal some shrimp from the buffet :argggg: !!!) If you go on your own to the one flat you can walk to from the hotel, you will see a few and may catch one or two, and they will be small…

If you can afford Avalon then I am truly jealous! That is going to be an incredible week! Do one day of pure bonefishing to get the hang of it and then mix it up with tarpon, permit, snook… It really is one of the best in the world if not the best for saltwater.

The local guides are a lot cheaper but arent as reliable. You have to bring them water and a lunch, they have zero gear, not even a cooler with ice! They know where to find the fish so I guess thats all that matters.