Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Helios Rods & Sa Sharkskin Lines

I was fortunate to have gone to the Fly Fishing Retailer show in Denver this past September. The big "buzz" was about two products, The new Scientific Angler Sharkskin flyline and the Orvis Helios flyrods.

First the Sharkskin line. Incredible...i was very skeptical about this line until I cast it. I consider myself an "average" caster and with this line I was able to fire 40-60 feet of line effortlessly. People were amazed at how well it cast. Of course everyone also noticed the "zipper" sound the line gives off as it shoots through the guides. When talking with some folks from SA Lefty Kreh came by and said "when am I getting some more of the Sharkskin? Everyone keeps stealing it from me!". It is hard to believe that there is now a $100 flyline. However, if it casts and lasts as well as SA states, it could be a great value. Can hardly wait to try it for stillwater fishing and for atlantic salmon where you often have to cast alot of line in high winds.

The Orvis helios rods were causing a great stir because of their lightness and power. An eight weight feels like a 4/5. The ten weight is like a six. Very very light and well balanced. Then I cast one. One false cast with a double haul, boom, cast the whole line! Incredible. Barry Stokes from Islander reels was there and I had him come over and cast the 10 weight. He couldn't believe it. He said it would be fantastic for firing big streamers for Coho. Usually I am not a big fan of Orvis rods, until recently. The Zero Gravity series was the best rod they have produced in a long time. The came the revised Superfine series in the Trout Bum mode. Again, great rods. The Helios series is unquesitonably the nicest rod they have produced. I think the saltwater folks will really jump on this rod.

My $.02 on a couple of new products I was really impressed with.

Cheers

colin

the new fly fisher

Tyson at Troutfitters was telling me the Sharkskin is the best line he's ever cast, I think I'll have to try some out, even at the high price it sounds like it's worth it. I've been using the GPX and I really like it, but maybe Santa will bring me a spool of Sharkskin this Dec.

Guest bigbadbrent

I've played around with the sharkskin on a Z-axis, was utterly stupid how good this line is...I'll be grabbing them in most sizes

• 2 months later...
Guest bigbadbrent

ahhh..guess i missed that one :P

The Helios's are pretty dumb how light they are..

If i hadn't ordered my Z-axis, i'd be seriously contemplating a Scott S4....what a rod that thing is