Fly Fusion Forums

What Would You Want To See

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

If you were given the chance to go to any seminar offered, wether its already offered or something completely new (tying or fishing, at a flyshop) what would you want to see?

I might be able to pull some of these ideas into seminars..so i'd love to know what you guys are wanting!

Guest bigbadbrent

Lady just needs to be a retriever, and you're golden

seminar over

OR, maybe you need to go to one of those Sex with Sue shows ;)

How about a course on how to get away with fishing for 250 days a year and not piss off the lady of the house.

find a lady that wants to fish 250 days a year with or without you.

i was thinking something along the lines of intermediate or advanced tying skills.

or how to avoid wind knots... grrr

Guest bigbadbrent

slow down that casting stroke, make it niceee and smooth and your golden (big loops help for a while, unless you're trying to bomb the casts)

Wind knots generally occur because the line speed is not sufficient for the loop "tightness", so the loop collapses and you're left sitting on the bank cursing like a drunken sailor.

Rather than opening your loops up, increase your line speed. I'm assuming that you're getting knots on the forward cast. Make sure that you're accelerating smoothly and continuously through the stroke and that you're stopping the rod sharply somewhere between 1:00 and 3:00 depending on your stroke. If your loops are too open, they'll collapse too easily at any sort of range - especially if you're slinging a weighted payload.

The easiest way to keep that line speed up is to learn to double haul. Lefty Kreh has a great video where he demonstrates that line speed is controlled almost 100% by the line hand and not the rod hand.

Brent - I would love to see a seminar by commercial tiers, demonstrating ways to tie quicker and more efficiently. Tom Cutmore had an article in Tributaries that was excellent. It would be very helpful to see what sort of tricks and methods he has for just cranking out bugs that are all identical.

Reading Large water (ie the Bow)

Jim McLennan has a great show about reading water big and small. I highly reccommend if you ever get the chance to see it.

I would really like a seminar on advancd casting techniques. I feel my personnal learning curve has kind of flat lined as far as casting goes, I need to fish with or be taught from someone who has a higher skill level that I can learn from. Specifically how to double haul. There are a few recuring problems that I have as well that I would really love to know how to stop.

I would love to go to a distance casting course. I know you don't really need to cast a long way most of the time but it sure is sweet when you can see the knot from your line to backing at your feet. I would also love to go out with someone very experienced and watch them read the water and select flies, methods, etc and learn a ton of info. Someone like Vic Bergeman on the Crowsnest.

How about a course on how to get away with fishing for 250 days a year and not piss off the lady of the house.

Just be a dickhead for the other 115 days that you're home; she'll be glad to be rid of you for 250 days!

just lost about a full page on distance casting and double hauling sorry guys but I don't have time to redo it at the moment...... was just about post it as well and the computer shut off...... there is literally steam spewing from my ears right now.

anyways I am not a pro or an instructor of any sort but if anyone wants to go out and do some casting and hauling drop me a PM the price is free but its gotta fit around my work schedule. But the best thing would be to have a proper intructor take you out. I will try and get my post back or redo it. Biggest thing to remember is that anything that takes 2 seconds to do like a double haul is likely pretty simple to do..... People just seem to get it in their heads that a double haul is really tough its actually a very fluid simple manuever when you stop thinking to hard about it.....

I would really like a seminar on advancd casting techniques. I feel my personnal learning curve has kind of flat lined as far as casting goes, I need to fish with or be taught from someone who has a higher skill level that I can learn from. Specifically how to double haul. There are a few recuring problems that I have as well that I would really love to know how to stop.

I'm with you on this one except the double haul part. I would love to see some demonstrations on some of the following:

power snap

underhand cast

Belgian cast

different lifts

roll cast variations

off the shoulder

dynamic roll

Spey Casting

double right

double left

switch cast

snake roll

curved

steeple

tip kicks

I can't say i understand the power snap...... checked it out on sexloops so maybe their defination and description is just tough to understand..... but the diagram makes no sense for a overhand cast but maybe for a roll sorta cast......

The dynamic roll and the switch are pretty much the same thing..... all though SL says that that with the switch the fly doesn't kiss the water...... not sure what that means as any cast called a switch cast I have seen is just a jump roll fly touchs down and loads rod and forms D.... but I might have an idea what they are talking about have to try it out first.

Tip kicks are pretty cool and super easy with a bit of practice. Though I find the practical aspect is fairly minimal.

Snake roll is a cool cast and I find its just as easy as a roll cast and easy modifiable to different situations great cast and no problem on most single hand rods above a 5 or 6 wt

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/dudewithhat.shtml Thats a switch cast vid

Anyways i would love a seminar on tackle organization both on and off the water...... I'm sure I could spend 10 grand on boxes, bags, containers and maybe even sherpas to cart my gear around and still not be able to find a toothpick in a fix or my pliers/hemostats ever......

Guest bigbadbrent

I'll do the best i can,

chances are i'll be running a couple fly tying specific ones..any ideas for what you'd want to see at a fly tying one?

I had a lesson with the guy in the "Guy with a Hat" link, that is Paul Arden. Greatest caster ever. I didn't know how to double haul and he said oh try doing this and this with your arms and in 5 minutes i was double hauling!! He also showed me the snake cast and a bunch of other crazy ones that i couldn't even wrap my head around.

He showed me a bit of the distance casting and it's all about timing and doing mega hauls where u end up balanced on your leading foot with rod hand stretched out in front and hauling hand stretched out behind. I am not very consistent with it and would like to get a lot better. It is pretty fun!