Fly Fusion Forums

Stream Side Eating

Today I decided to give the Bow River trout a break and drove 30 minutes to a smaller watercourse. I don't know about the rest of you all, but I find dry fly fishing I bit mesmerizing. Intently focusing on the prefect presentation, watching the fly, searching for surface feeding fish. It's exhausting and even though I pack some nuts, granola bars and beef jerky, I don't seem to get the time to eat any of if. Sure I can find time for a drink of water or a cigar but when it comes to either eating or setting the hook you know what I'm going to choose! Sure if the fish aren't biting there's nothing better to do, but I'm talking about a good day stream side with fish rising to my offering. Please enlighten me to your habits or I'm leaving this dead weight in the fridge next time.

I always pack a bunch of food if I'm going for an entire day and you're right, sometimes I don't actually eat all of it before coming back. However, I still bring the same amount just in case something happens and you have to spend a night out in the woods. There's also times you find a sweet spot that you can fish for a while, then sit back and have lunch to let the fish settle down again and then fish it again!

One thing I always finish off is a full camelback of water though. Since it is so handy, I always drink from it as I'm walking to the next beat so that I'm never dehydrated. If you get thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

• Like 1

Can't count the times I've brought my lunch back, If I forget to put it in my vest pack, there's less chance I'll eat it, small snacks tend to fair better like dried fruit and trail mix. Water is of course a must and should be handy always up front, keeping hydrated is the most important. But if fish are rising who need food...

• Like 1

Most times, if I remember, I pack an extra meal for dinner if I know I'm gonna head to the river after work. I'll get to the river, sit on the bank at the first location I plan to fish and eat. I like doing this because it let's me kinda plan my approach on that particular piece of water. I get to see what bugs are flying around me, as well as watching the water and seeing if there is any activity on the surface, which saves me from just jumping in on a feeding trout.

• Like 1

There are anglers amoungst us that have a clue of what fishing is all about. Erest Schwiebert wrote in Remembrances of Rivers Past. Published by The Macmillan Company of his many memorable stream side meals on rivers around the world. If I recall correctly the meals centred on quality wines and cheeses. Beats the cheese sandwich and apple I pack.

Happy munching,

Don

• Like 1

I think the best meal I ever had was back in the early 60 when Dad and Grandpa took me Salmon fishing on the Miramichi River for the first time. We where in a traditional fishing camp and after a full day with a great catch we sat down to fresh bread Bacon and Beans. It was pure Joy and would love to to sit at that old wooden table with the pot bellied stove roaring and those who are long gone there again talking old times.

Perhaps that's part of what heaven is.

• Like 3

I think the best meal I ever had was back in the early 60 when Dad and Grandpa took me Salmon fishing on the Miramichi River for the first time. We where in a traditional fishing camp and after a full day with a great catch we sat down to fresh bread Bacon and Beans. It was pure Joy and would love to to sit at that old wooden table with the pot bellied stove roaring and those who are long gone there again talking old times.

Perhaps that's part of what heaven is.

That sounds incredibly awesome, to go fishing with your Dad and Grandpa. I lost my Grandpa when I was young 7 years old, and my father before I had children of my own. It is unlikely that I will ever get to share even a portion of that experience. Heaven indeed.

• Like 1

Slingshotz; I'd be interested in the Camelbak model you carry and the pros and cons.

I just take the bladder out of my biking Camelback and stick it in my fishing backpack. Really any bladder will do or if you don't fish with a backpack, just carry the whole Camelback. Mine is similar to this one: http://www.myrunninglife.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/p-ROGUE850.jpg