Fly Fusion Forums

Camera Help

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Going to be purchasing probably 2 cameras next year, before i go to new zealand for 2009. I'm definitly going to get myself one of those waterproof ones, cause im tired of carrying my camera's around in a plastic bag, and it's just asking for an accident...I'd also like another one to take really nice photos of landscapes and such (but not blowing the budjet, and backpackable)

any ideas on both? Im thinking the olympus for the waterproof, no clue for the other

I have a Canon Powershot S2 - I think the current model is the S5, and it has some nice features, and a review on the site mentioned by Reg. If you're doing super macro shots, the camera can focus at zero distance from the lens. I also use an Olympus c7070 for work, and it has the same type of feature set, but I find the controls on the Canon to be more intuitive and easier to change. Both of these are a step below the digital SLR models. I know the Canon can have additional filters and lenses mounted.

Brent,

I have and love my Olympus 720SW shock and water proof camera. I know MissinTheBow has one as well and loves it. Anytime you want to take it for a test drive, let me know. I'm so confident in it's waterproof and shockproof abilities that I will loan it to you even knowing your history with fragile gear ;)

Edit:

As to the viewfinder, every waterproof camera I have tried has issues. Believe it or not, the SW is the best I have tried. But that is not all that great of an endorsement.

Guest bigbadbrent

best buy sells the olympus for 359 i believe..

Rick, i'll definitly take that up on ya, i'll be the camera man for you one day

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

Hey Brent,

I think this would be a great unit if it ever makes it into full production.

Pros: - Size of a normal Point and Shoot

- Instead of a normal point and shoot sensor, you get a DSLR sized sensor, meaning way better image quality.

- Fixed focal length lens, which would be great for landscapes

Cons: - Fixed focal length lens is limiting depending on what you want to shoot. Would be great for fishing photos.

- Was announced a long time ago and there's no word yet on if it will actually make it to production.

- Sigma is not really a popular camera maker. Their main business is 3rd party lens production. Therefore one shouldn't be surprised if quality control isn't as strict as that of Canon, Nikon etc.

Seriously consider eBay for a new camera. Canadian dealers have not quite caught on yet to the fact that their prices are too damn high.

I appreciate that there are higher costs of operating a retail camera shop in Canada (taxes and labor--not to mention personal service) but local dealers are charging 30 to 75 percent more for cameras than US dealers. I priced a new flash the other day. The least expensive I could find it in Canada was $539 CAD, yet I can lay it on my doorstep for $340 CAD via eBay or a US dealer. 78 percent higher in Canada is NOT justified. Amazon sells the same thing in the US for $302 (+shipping) but won't ship to Canada (they will ship to murderers in US prisons) and it is not available on Amazon Canada. FREE TRADE MY ASS.

Regarding cameras:

1) As much as I like my waterproof Optio W20, I will never again purchase a digital camera that does not have an eye viewfinder as well as the screen.

2) The small SLR wannabee super zooms (Panasonic and many others) are idea for travel--wide angle to powerful telephoto without changing lenses.

Good luck.

Clive

Bought my Olympus on eBay, directly from Olympus in California (a refurb), $6.00 shipping. Full factory warranty. They did charge GST, which made it essentially a Canadian purchase, so no customs, duty, whatever. Price+GST+Shipping and done.

I just did a search, and Olympus is selling them now for around $290.00 (last several completed auctions in this range). Here is one completed auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-Stylus-770-SW-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and I used Steve's Digicams as well.

I have a Optio W30 and a Panasonic FZ30.

I have to say both have they're advantages.

The W30 is small, tough, portable and takes a good to great picture depending on conditions.

But the picture quality isn't as good as what I get with the FZ30. The manual settings and larger/better imager make a big difference. I can look at a pic on my PC and instantly tell which camera took the shot.

The fixed lens of the FZ is a bit of a drawback but nothing major.

But the FZ's size makes it a bit of a pain to carry around compared to the W30.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you just want to point and shoot something like a W30 will probably be fine,

But if you are going to do anything artsy or anything in lower light conditions you'll want to spend a little more on a better digital SLR.

The little guys just aren't built for that sorta thing.

Just read some of the sites provided here, then probably read'm again and you'll figure out watch you really need vs want.

just my 0.02 + gst

We have the same problem as you guys buying from the USA here in Ireland if you buy from Amazon, they just won't ship to Ireland from the UK but advertise the cameras on their Irish site!

So, I ordered the camera, Fuji S9600 c/w 2Gb memory, and had it sent to my mate in Scotland who sent it on to me in Ireland, result - saved 150 Euro over Irish prices and got the camera from Amazon after all.

I use it for all my SBSs now as I used to use - wait for it - a Kodak DC280 until it packed in and then I used my wife's Nikon L101 P&S.

The Fuji does all I need, I don't need a waterproof camera but might consider it for the future

Check out www.ecost.com too. They will convert to CAD and calculate all shipping, duties, and GST on your order. I saved over a hundred dollars several years ago with them.

I've actually been thinking of getting one of these and just did a quick cost comparison for the 790SW. ecost.com is ~$312 including GST and shipping. Futureshop is ~$350 (329.99w/o tax right now). So you'd save a little bit I guess. The W30 is ~365 at ecost.com, and ~318 (299.99w/o tax) at futureshop. Wow, futureshop is actually cheaper. That kind of surprises me.