Fly Fusion Forums

Cheap Dubbin'

Brownstone

Anybody heading to Whitefish soon?....picked up 30 packs of dubbin' at Lakesteam Flyfishing shop..5 for a buck.. :blink: discontinued brand .. I think I'm set for a couple seasons...

Also got 4 new winter grippers for the VW for 75.00/each..SCORE..

and sat in a $51,600 pick-up that's like $63,500 up here...(working on it)

the "new" loonie rocks!!!!!! :lol:

Anybody heading to Whitefish soon?....picked up 30 packs of dubbin' at Lakesteam Flyfishing shop..5 for a buck.. :blink: discontinued brand .. I think I'm set for a couple seasons...

Also got 4 new winter grippers for the VW for 75.00/each..SCORE..

and sat in a $51,600 pick-up that's like $63,500 up here...(working on it)

the "new" loonie rocks!!!!!! :lol:

For realllllly cheap dubbing check out your lint trap on your dryer. Some interesting dubbing have come out of there. Especially after colored cycles.

Guest Rocknbugs
For realllllly cheap dubbing check out your lint trap on your dryer. Some interesting dubbing have come out of there. Especially after colored cycles.

Silverdoctor,

Question, is that a true statement? If so my wife and kids have a wide variety of colors and fabrics. Seriuosy though have you really used stuff out of your dryer for tying? Im fairly new to tying so I would not know wether or not you are kidding around or serious about that.

Rock.

Guest bigbadbrent

it would work just fine rocknbugs..

the great thing about tying is the diversity of everything..i've used dog hair for a parachute post before

And they call us Scots cheapskates? You guys are taking it to a new level! Belly button fluff indeed!

Who ya tryin' to fool here, brutha? Ya know full well any good Scotsman would dig up his dead Granny in the

middle of the night if he had an inkling the wig she was buried in could be used to dub a fly!

"Aye, & since I've done all this diggin', I may as well check her belly button & ass-crack for lint, as well! Now,

let's see aboot those gold teeth..." ;)

Silverdoctor,

Question, is that a true statement? If so my wife and kids have a wide variety of colors and fabrics. Seriuosy though have you really used stuff out of your dryer for tying? Im fairly new to tying so I would not know wether or not you are kidding around or serious about that.

Rock.

Yep, I often check the lint trap. I've gotten some great dubbing out of there. Jean loads are great along with sweaters. When my sons where small my wife ran a load of Halloween costumes. resulted in great nymph bodies of about 6 years. It often works as a "base" to add other dubbing materials to. Just something to check out. Then there's my small coffee grinder and mixing various furs for great dubbing I will put aside and sort my trimmings also. Toss em in the blender for some interesting results. My dad used wool darning thread cut into quarter inch pieces and "carded" to make great dubbing for wet flies. On one Algonquin camp when I was a kid I remember him cutting up a work sock, fraying it to make some great wet fly bodies.

When I started tying there was not the profusion of materials available like today. You needed to find sources.