Fly Fusion Forums

Need A Cool Fly-Fishing Video For Kids!

Hi guys:

That time of year again, and it looks like I could be starting another Fly-fishing club at a local school.

I have plenty of Flyfishing dvd's - especially from an instructional perspective. But these videos do not serve to well as a "hook". (pun intended). They're a bit on the slow paced side.

Can anyone recommend a dvd, or Youtube or Vimeo type video that is fast-paced, a bit rock'n'roll-ish, and is short - as in 1 to 5 minutes - that would serve well in just showing the kids just how damn cool this sport / hobby is? :)

I'm thinking the more variety the better in terms of small fish, big fish, multitude of settings, casting, people enjoying themselves, etc.

There are also some really good film makers here in FFC, I'd be happy to acknowledge you if you have some of your own content to share.

Anyways, suggestions and/or links are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Smitty

Thanks guys; disappointing news - the principal didn't go for it. So no club this year affiliated with a school.

Thinking of just striking out on my own and do my own Kids Flyfishing Club thing that operates outside the purview of a school board - something like a low /non profit company thing. Charities way too much hassle and work, and I need 5 people to start a "society". And frankly, I don't want to be dependent on "other people" having to "get it" to do something I am passionate about; getting kids unplugged from their devices and getting them into the outdoors.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though! Much appreciated! :)

Smitty

• Like 1

WTF is the matter with people these days?How can a school/school board//principal possibly justify rejecting such a program?Liability?Somebody might fall in the river?Hook their ear or ass with a fly?Parental consent not good enough that schools have to distance themselves from the least little bit of risk?Its fishing,not hunting fer chrissakes....and don't get me wrong,I'm a lifelong avid hunter tagging along with the ol'man since I was 5,but I can understand the uninitiated's urban paranoia over guns,even though I strongly disagree with them and dismiss them as gun grabbing Liberal citiot retards....jest sayn'....it's fly rods,not guns,what's the problem??

WTF is the matter with people these days?How can a school/school board//principal possibly justify rejecting such a program?Liability?Somebody might fall in the river?Hook their ear or ass with a fly?Parental consent not good enough that schools have to distance themselves from the least little bit of risk?Its fishing,not hunting fer chrissakes....and don't get me wrong,I'm a lifelong avid hunter tagging along with the ol'man since I was 5,but I can understand the uninitiated's urban paranoia over guns,even though I strongly disagree with them and dismiss them as gun grabbing Liberal citiot retards....jest sayn'....it's fly rods,not guns,what's the problem??

Vagabond! Lol...I should hire you to be my advocate, PR guy, and pitbull...all rolled into one lol. Appreciate the sympathy.

To be accurate, the school board generally approves these trips; not a board issue, and I think I construed it the wrong way there, so my bad. I mean, if the board approves ski trips (far more risky imho) and outdoor ed trips where some schools allow the kids to fire guns, a simple flyfishing trip should be no problem. And it isn't.

It was kind of a rant-of-disappointment on my part.

Anyways, the issue is that, the problem with the Flyfishing club is that it is a late in the year shoulder season thing. It only works during May and September. June is normally out, cause with exams coming, alot schools drastically decrease the field trips during June. So the problem here was that at this particular school, the principal felt it was too late in the year to start something like this, and the fact the school is already plumb full of clubs and trips already. So I lost out for starting late and competing with other activities. Too bad, the quiet polling I surreptitiously took amongst the kids indicated to me it would have been a popular choice (it usually is).

Appreciate everyone's support, and your passion Vagabond. Nice to know the FFC community is there. :)

Smitty

• Like 1

Shredneck has a really good point. The two activities are connected and it would be really exciting for the kids to catch something on a fly they had tied earlier. I do see a problem with material and equipment though.

Murray

I definitely will do a year long -flyfish-then flytying-then back to flyfishing club. But, as long as I am a substitute teacher, its nearly impossible for me to give a school a year round commitment like that. Just the nature of being a sub; you never know if you're going to be at the same school enough times to maintain the consistency needed :)

Materials and equipment wouldn't be an issue; I'm sure the NFLT / TU guys in Edmonton could / would help.

Cheers,

SMitty