Fly Fusion Forums

Moving To Calgary! Where To Live?

Well, I got my dream job in Calgary, so the family and I are moving back (from Winnipeg) this summer. I got into fly fishing just as I was leaving Calgary, and then spent 6 years chasing trout, bass, pike, catfish, and whatever else in Manitoba. It's actually a better place for fly fishing than you might think, although it's mostly stillwater fishing.

Anyways, we're looking for a place to live, and we've got all sorts of priorities, but I'm secretly thinking about finding a place that will make it easy to get out of town and get on a river. One place we're looking at is Glamorgan... Looks like it would be pretty easy to get out of town on Highway 8. Is there good fishing there along the Elbow and tributaries?

Thanks!

Glamorgan is a nice area for sure. Your right, it would be relatively quick to head west although Highway 8 is getting a reputation for being a dangerous stretch of road. Very busy on rush hour traffic along with lots of truck traffic. I don't have any experience fishing out that way but have you considered the Blue Ribbon Bow? Most of the communities in the south offer excellent commute times to several walk and wade opportunities along the river. Fish Creek Park is a very popular recreation area that would mean a 15 minute drive south of Glenmore Trail. Lots of nice communities along the river, ie: Riverbend,bonavista, Deer Run, Sundance,Midnapore, Cranston etc.

you probably already know but be prepared for higher prices than you are used to.

Murray

I would consider the south of Calgary most of the great Alberta streams are SW Alberta out HWY 22 or S on #2. If you were in Glamorgan you would be a 25 min drive through Calgary before you get out of town. Also if you bought in the south you would be close to the Lower Bow where it would be 5 min to the river and you will have many more opportunities to fish in the evenings. With the ring road completed to the south the commute to other parts of the city is much faster now.

Glamorgan is right in the middle of the city man IMO, glenmore, crowchild, sarcee and deerfoot are all a nightmare to travel on if your trying to get somewhere. If your looking for close to the river and other destinations extreme south is the way to go. Like troutlover said, 25 mins (without traffic) just to get to the south end. My family and I moved for that exact reason.

I live pretty far south in New Brighton just North of Highway 22x/Stoney Trail. The commute to downtown can be a bugger sometimes.

For fishing though it is great I am on Deerfoot and out very quickly roughly 1.5 - 2 hours to the Crow, Oldman, livingstone etc. Also can hit up the bow very easily.

Elbow River would definitely not be my first choice there is good access but it just isn't very productive. I have caught some great fish on the Elbow and had good days (mostly in the fall) but if I had a choice of five rivers similar distance apart it would be my last choice. If you live in Calgary the majority of your fishing will likely be on the Bow and if you have time to get away further you would be better served going to the Highwood, Livingstone, Oldman or Crow. Only thing I dislike about living in the south is the extra 45min it takes me to drive to Banff or K Lakes area.

I think I'd be more concerned over your commute time to work,wherever that might be?The Bow is quite easily accessible from most of the SW/SE within 10-15min or less for evening excursions.As mentioned,there's lotsa nice communities in the SE bordering FCP that are walking distance to river or a short drive,if you can combine that with <1/2hr commute to work.....??Many of those communities also have private stocked lakes as well for residents only.

I for one would look at the schools/neighbourhood/commute long before I'd factor in proximity to fishing to decide where I live anywhere. Although hopping in a car and driving a bit to a fishing spot is almost therapeutic to me, might be a factor of living in the Seattle area now.

I grew up in the Glamorgan area and first house I bought was in the Glendale area. Very family friendly areas with good schools and commute to down-town is short and sweet. If you're working downtown, the Glenmorgan to Westgate area is great.

My ramblings.

Stew

I grew up in Lakeview....just south of Glamorgan..I can remember going to Weasel Head when we first moved there in 1965 with a .22 rifle, and a fishing rod....it was pretty wild there back then in that part of the Elbow Valley.....and the keg parties, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles just added to the flavour of the place.

Fishing the Elbow River from Weasel Head to the Army Base was never really good, except for spawning pike in the canals in June....

It was/is much better further west, from Twin Bridges downstream, south of Highway 8. Access is much harder now in this area.

I would not base a house purchase in Glamorgan based on Elbow River access upriver from the Glenmore Res.....

It's a nice area to be sure, but, Glenmore Park (a nearby large park on the north shore of the Reservoir) ) is a very busy overrun place these days.

However, Weasel Head and hiking or biking to the south side of the Res is very enjoyable during the week, very busy on weekends...

IMHO

• Like 1

To add, as far as schools go, the two major High Scools in that area, Viscount Bennett and Ernest Manning are gone, Viscount closed and Manning closed and moved moved much further west over to Aspen Glen. Your kids, will be bused a long way to High School, either Central Memorial, Western Canada, or to the new Ernest Manning.

Looking on a map, these distances (actually ALL map distances in Calgary) may deceive you...it may only look like an inch or two on the map...but you need to come here and drive them yourself.

Are you working downtown? Most folks take the LRT.......parking is 400 plus a month DT... and no LRT in Glamorgan, your driving to Westbrook, 10-15 mins....each way in traffic.