Fly Fusion Forums

2014 Regs New Changes

One can no longer fish right at the creek inlet during spawn. I think it is a positive move. Lots of other parts of the lake to explore during that time.

Upper Kananaskis Lake
arrows.gifthe portion of the lake within 100 m of Rawson Creek inlet
circle-filled.jpg July 16 to May 31 – Trout (except Bull Trout) limit 1; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 50 cm; Bait Ban.
circle-filled.jpg June 1 to July 15 – CLOSED
arrows.gifthe remainder of the lake
circle-filled.jpg Open all year – Trout (except Bull Trout) limit 1; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 50 cm; Bait Ban.

Anyone else see any other interesting changes?

The abundance of Pike in Lake Newell has declined and harvest pressure needs to be further reduced to recover the population to the desired level. To achieve this, the regulation changes from 1 Pike over 63 cm to catch and release (0 limit).

This is good...but frick do that for a couple others (Clear Lake, for example..). Pike management is embarrasing

The abundance of Pike in Lake Newell has declined and harvest pressure needs to be further reduced to recover the population to the desired level. To achieve this, the regulation changes from 1 Pike over 63 cm to catch and release (0 limit).

This is good...but frick do that for a couple others (Clear Lake, for example..). Pike management is embarrassing

Clear lake had major regulation changes recently (year or two now??), limit 1 over 100 cm. The changes to Birch Lake will be interesting, I enjoyed the justification based on poor presentation of the survey info. Basically, anyone who thought the regulations did not go far enough are lumped in the with those that want to eat everything (survey is on the fisheries roundtable website) and no comments/ suggestions were published. Its too bad, used to be a great fishery before it was overly publicized.

Clear lake had major regulation changes recently (year or two now??), limit 1 over 100 cm. The changes to Birch Lake will be interesting, I enjoyed the justification based on poor presentation of the survey info. Basically, anyone who thought the regulations did not go far enough are lumped in the with those that want to eat everything (survey is on the fisheries roundtable website) and no comments/ suggestions were published. Its too bad, used to be a great fishery before it was overly publicized.

So now all it's doing is pushing clear into a fishery with fish under 100cm..... really should be pushing a few of these pike lakes into C&R..would be amazing to see what they could produce if we stopped actively selecting for the big mating females..

So now all it's doing is pushing clear into a fishery with fish under 100cm..... really should be pushing a few of these pike lakes into C&R..would be amazing to see what they could produce if we stopped actively selecting for the big mating females..

Yeah, I agree a catch and release lake would be great but wait to see what happens on Clear. I think you lose out on a lot of the meat fisherman as soon as the 3 limit is removed. I saw pictures of several really large pike out of there this winter, all were released which was encouraging. Some of the best trophy pike lakes in southern Alberta don't have any sort of special regulations (or even a closure in some cases) so it's still a wait and see sort of scenario. I know the pike fishing is way better than it was 10-15 years ago on many of the lakes I grew up fishing.

I've just never understood why someone would want to keep a fish in the 80-100cm pike anyways. The meat on those fish isn't as good as the 40-50cm fish. Getting those bigger fish back into the lake is incredibly important.

I do most of my pike fishing out sure Keho. I watch a ton of guys take their limit out every day and have always worried about the future health of that pike population.