Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead: The Last Hoorah!

dryfly

Bullshead has been rough on us old farts. We are cursed with howling winds (only 3 calmish days in about 15 trips in three years--and it can howl there). And we've never hit one of the famous backswimmer falls. STILL, we always catch fish and have had some good times there. We fished last week in a howler and landed a good number of fish, mainly on small leeches and backswimmers. We fish Oct 23 (yesterday) and this morning--stayed overnight at Elkwater. Yesterday there was a light breeze all day and the fish were most cooperative with lots of 14 to 22-inch rainbows landed--most were 16-18 or so. All fat and healthy. I used a small leech all day. This morning was pretty decent for two hours and the bite simply died and that was followed closely by Hurricane Katrina II. Here are some shots from this week. Next year.

murray1879.jpg

gord1899.jpg

clive0564.jpg

bullshead1917.jpg

sunset1943.jpg

Good stuff, can't believe how warm it's been here lately (up to about 27 C yesterday). Of course some wind comes with it though. When it drops down (to only about 15) the wind drops too and they's probably been some great days out at Bullshead because of this. Too bad I never got to enjoy it.

Already looking forward to April 1 next year.

Thanks all. Been a good ride--despite the wind.

Bloom...Thanks for your advice over the years. And thanks too for your work to get BH established as a "quality" fishery. We complain about the wind, but it's a damn fine fishery.

Cheers!

Clive

For good or bad, I know we've mostly been 'lucky' regarding Bullshead. The people with Muir put more time and research into their start up, but have not come close to the results Bullshead has had. Sometimes you just need some things to go your way, and here's what I think they were:

1. The word on Bullshead didn't really get out until the fish had a few years to grow (and those first few years of growing were incredible...never to be seen again on that lake). These fish weren't hammered from the get go!

2. That lake can grow some fish, and it's big enough to spread the pressure around.

3. Everyone was on board...ok this one wasn't mostly luck. There was a lot of work done to get all types of fisherman to buy in. Even things as simple as helping out kids and the 'ma and pa' types on shore who couldn't catch a fish.

4. It's not the most technical fishery. If the stocking rates went WAY down, fish would get bigger, but the catch rates go down. People start complaining to the powers that be and these delayed harvest lakes start having a negative connotation to them.

5. Wasn't a whole lot for people to complain about...everyone was catching fish (even 'keepers'), there were other lakes around where you could keep your five 12'', there's a decent boat launch and bathroom, etc.

Hopefully things go well for Police. I still think there's a lot of luck in it but I'm already looking forward to fishing it! I love the idea of a campground on site. Spend the day fishing, then the night having some pops by the lake, and waking up with the boat all ready to go!

ps. Got to love that little leech under an indicator...I remember 5 years ago you couldn't find an indicator on a line to save your life. Now it's probably around 75% of fish caught on that lake are by using indicators. I love that style...sort of has the whole 'visual' aspect of dry fly fishing to it.

Thanks all. Been a good ride--despite the wind.

Bloom...Thanks for your advice over the years. And thanks too for your work to get BH established as a "quality" fishery. We complain about the wind, but it's a damn fine fishery.

Cheers!

Clive

Sure looks like you guys had a good outing. :D

Having never fished Bullshead or that part of the province for that matter I was wondering what sort of chronie action there is in the spring time? Also, are the stocked fish triploids or do they 'boot up' come spring time?

We arrived just after 12 noon, rigged up and had one fish one before the winds came up. Wasn't able to land it, but at least I had the hook up. Need to go back and land that one! Didn't take long before there were whitecaps on the lake. Ran into Clive on the way out, got some advice and scored a couple flies from a master (Thanks Clive) . Not bad for a first visit to a new spot.

C