Fly Fusion Forums

Strange New Computer Anomaly Question

Bought a new MacBook Pro last week at WestWorld and brought it home after they migrated the data from our 2 older Macs. When I opened it, someone elses contacts were on there... How does that happen? Took it back and the tech said they must have come from my old G5 iMac as they only do a system to system migration. She looked over both systems and those contacts were not on my iMac which I knew! No other answers or ideas as to how/why this has happened... Only thing I can think of is that it was a return and they didn't wipe the drive? Any chance it could randomly happen over wifi?

What would you do in this situation? Demand a refund or discount or suck it up as it's not that big of a deal?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Peter

ICloud is only pertains to your own google account that you or previous owner setup. You require login credentials to access ICloud. That be said, the harddrive on your new mac was not reimaged to default factory when it was returned. Hence when they did a "System copy" they did not do a real system copy, just your personal files where transfered and not computer system files from your older mac.

The other option was the new mac you got was selected for factory testing, and was not reimaged, but that could be easily discounted if there is any local addresses or phone numbers.

This happens on occasions. Oh by the way you are now legaly responsible for the content that pre-existed on your machine. This means if there is any files that are ilegal and someone found that file on your new mac you could face a nasty legal battle.

I suggest if it is possible to, redo the file transfers but have your new mac re-imaged first at the store you bought it at.

Enjoy your new Mac,

Black Ant

Only local contacts.

So I called Apple Canada yesterday and they confirmed that it it is indeed a new machine (has not previously been registered and is not a refurb).

There was definitely someone else's contact on my iCloud acct, but more strange ones on my iPhone. The only thing that we can figure is that it happen at some point during the migration and someone plugged another iPhone/iPad into the computer to charge it and transferred their contact onto my system... Apple Canada is calling Westworld to talk to them... I'm not sure what the resolution will be but they definitely violated someone privacy! Also, can the guarantee that none of my (or my wife's) info was not transferred to someone else's devise?!