Fly Fusion Forums

Crazy Bull Trout Antics On Racehorse Creek!

I hate to say it, but I actually thought it was the same fish in all 3 videos, and the first thing that came to mind was ' why are they torturing this poor fish?' it wasn't until I re-watched them that it started to make sense and it was 3 separate fish. I think if anything perhaps a little more explanation leading up to the video's would help. its certainly a tough call when posting anything to the web.

Colin

Here's what happened....

Video #1...

My friend was downstream from me and caught a fish. I went downstream to take pictures and as I walked down a bull trout chased and swallowed the fish. By the time I got there the fish was totally engulfed by the fish. The bulltrout/cutty was then played as you would any fish. The bull trout then spat out the fish and the cutty was released relatively unscathed.

Video #2 and #3

Video #3 is a continuation of #2. My friend and I were fishing two dry flies.It is a technique that I like to use late in the year. I find it easier to see the small BWO emerger when it trails a more visible fly. My friend foul hooked a cutty and as he was reeling it in a bulltrout again came after it. I assume that in his pursuit he saw what he thought was food and took the trailing fly. My friend then had two fish on his two fly set up. This is a rare once in a lifetime occurrence and he fought the two fish as he would with any fish. The cutty was foul hooked in the pectoral fin and was frantic and the bull was hooked in the mouth. The plan was to get both in and released. Eventually the bull trout got off and took off and the cutty was caught and released.

We had no intentions of taunting the bull trout. We were just fishing a pool where earlier we have had good success. We were surprised to see the bullies there and were not trying to catch them. We went back the next day and they had moved on. We would never do what some posters accuse us of...I just wanted to share it on the forum

It's just nature and I was able to video it...it was a bizarre occurrence.

• Like 3

Here's what happened....

Video #1...

My friend was downstream from me and caught a fish. I went downstream to take pictures and as I walked down a bull trout chased and swallowed the fish. By the time I got there the fish was totally engulfed by the fish. The bulltrout/cutty was then played as you would any fish. The bull trout then spat out the fish and the cutty was released relatively unscathed.

Video #2 and #3

Video #3 is a continuation of #2. My friend and I were fishing two dry flies.It is a technique that I like to use late in the year. I find it easier to see the small BWO emerger when it trails a more visible fly. My friend foul hooked a cutty and as he was reeling it in a bulltrout again came after it. I assume that in his pursuit he saw what he thought was food and took the trailing fly. My friend then had two fish on his two fly set up. This is a rare once in a lifetime occurrence and he fought the two fish as he would with any fish. The cutty was foul hooked in the pectoral fin and was frantic and the bull was hooked in the mouth. The plan was to get both in and released. Eventually the bull trout got off and took off and the cutty was caught and released.

We had no intentions of taunting the bull trout. We were just fishing a pool where earlier we have had good success. We were surprised to see the bullies there and were not trying to catch them. We went back the next day and they had moved on. We would never do what some posters accuse us of...I just wanted to share it on the forum

It's just nature and I was able to video it...it was a bizarre occurrence.

Thanks for the clarification.... not that it was needed.

Those are some crazy videos MrBotangles, thanks a lot for sharing. I can't believe the first cutty was still full of spirit after seeing the inside of that bull trout.

Also looking at the size of the bull in video 2 and 3 the 3rd bull which is swimming belong looks to be a monster.

As a rough ball park how big would you say that bull you nearly landed in video 2 is? I am just curious as a rough idea of the monster lurking below.

Thanks again for sharing I know you are a steward of the fish population in Alberta and elsewhere and really enjoyed the videos.

• Like 2

Regarding a bigger one looking to eat them both, all the times I've caught bulls, I've noted that it has never happened where a big bull goes after a smaller bull that's been hooked, unlike when a cutty is hooked. I assumed it was some unwritten code of bull trout ethics where they don't attack each other, though a big one may initially show interest in a smaller hooked bull it seems he then decides "Oh, he's one of us" and leaves it be.

Maybe it just hasn't happened yet but those pools on Wigwam were full of big bulls that never chased the smaller ones I hooked.

Anyway, good vid. Isn't it amazing how those bulls suddenly appear from nowhere?

• Like 1

Regarding a bigger one looking to eat them both, all the times I've caught bulls, I've noted that it has never happened where a big bull goes after a smaller bull that's been hooked, unlike when a cutty is hooked. I assumed it was some unwritten code of bull trout ethics where they don't attack each other, though a big one may initially show interest in a smaller hooked bull it seems he then decides "Oh, he's one of us" and leaves it be.

Maybe it just hasn't happened yet but those pools on Wigwam were full of big bulls that never chased the smaller ones I hooked.

Anyway, good vid. Isn't it amazing how those bulls suddenly appear from nowhere?

It hasn't happened to me yet either.. but watch how these bulls take shots at each other in this vid from the humblefisherman

Well that first video was something to see alright. Yikes! It looks like a sure fire way to get the system closed to fishing to protect two species (us and the cuttys), listed under the federal Species at Risk Act. The obvious lack of pressure put on the fish involved was disturbing enough (do remember to understand the body of water you’re fishing and bring appropriate equipment), but when you realize at the end that the angler (never mind the photographer), could have waltzed out and netted the pair at any time, well…

The most important thing to you anglers should always be our welfare. Tiny tippets and under-sized rods can be deadly to us. I watched a fellow play a big cutty the other day for over ten minutes in fast water and then proudly brag to his friends about it. The hook hurts eh, but we can live with it as long as it comes out gently and doesn’t hit a tender spot. Hook us too many times though, and the scare tissue and small tears start to build up and makes life much harder for us. What we can’t survive, is the shock we go into when played to long. We’re still pretty scared when you let us go and often appear strong as we’re taking off, but we’re not; we are in big trouble at this point. Once we calm down (just like you guys), we feel the full effect of the event and sometimes our metabolism just can’t clean itself fast enough and we roll over and die. While that fellow was bragging to his buddies, the cutty was likely dying on the bottom.

There was something else in the video even more disturbing than the angling; did any of you notice the sediment! Gasp!

• Like 4

The camera was zoomed but in retrospect...I (the photographer) could have ventured the 25' out to net the fish.....but who walks out that far into a river to land a fish....next time I will consider all options. In video #3 I went in to net the bull...I was 15' in when he spat the hook.

I appreciate all the comments and I will consider them all if this ever happens again...which I doubt it will.

To me fly fishing is a sport/pastime where you continually learn. Every day on the water you learn something....every time I click my computer on to a flyfishing site I learn something.....and most importantly...every time I meet other fly fishermen, I learn something.

I love it!!

There are no fly fishermen that know everything! But definitely some that know more than others!!!

• Like 1

Well that first video was something to see alright. Yikes! It looks like a sure fire way to get the system closed to fishing to protect two species (us and the cuttys), listed under the federal Species at Risk Act. The obvious lack of pressure put on the fish involved was disturbing enough (do remember to understand the body of water you’re fishing and bring appropriate equipment), but when you realize at the end that the angler (never mind the photographer), could have waltzed out and netted the pair at any time, well…

The most important thing to you anglers should always be our welfare. Tiny tippets and under-sized rods can be deadly to us. I watched a fellow play a big cutty the other day for over ten minutes in fast water and then proudly brag to his friends about it. The hook hurts eh, but we can live with it as long as it comes out gently and doesn’t hit a tender spot. Hook us too many times though, and the scare tissue and small tears start to build up and makes life much harder for us. What we can’t survive, is the shock we go into when played to long. We’re still pretty scared when you let us go and often appear strong as we’re taking off, but we’re not; we are in big trouble at this point. Once we calm down (just like you guys), we feel the full effect of the event and sometimes our metabolism just can’t clean itself fast enough and we roll over and die. While that fellow was bragging to his buddies, the cutty was likely dying on the bottom.

There was something else in the video even more disturbing than the angling; did any of you notice the sediment! Gasp!

I have the utmost respect for you....a lot of fly fishermen fish this area with lighter weight rods (#4 >) and lighter tippets especially in the fall. We are fishing for cutty's and obviously you and your friends are not targeted....it was a surprise to have you drop by. I hope you had a good spawn and the Hidden Creek damage doesn't jeopardize your future in the area. Keep on doing what you are doing!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

great clips Mr B

thanks for posting I am sure you have both us fishermen and the trouts welfare in mind everytime you fish, you were caught up in the moment surprised at what was happening and when it was over "Jimmy" released the fish gently back to the water..all is good....when strange things happen on the stream we get excited and sometimes say and do some funny stuff I have even made my self look a fool on film in such moments as this video I will post below...I hope I don't get harshly judged or ridiculed for it but here we go.....oh and just before we start I think I saw Jimmy on that same stream about a half a km below the bridge in August we chatted he seemed like a nice trout respecting angler and told me how an hour before we met up that him or his pal just landed a 20 inch rainbow on a fat albert out of the whole I was fishing in....can you confirm if that was "Jimmy" or maybe it was another santa look a like LOL!!