Fly Fusion Forums

Crazy Bull Trout Antics On Racehorse Creek!

In the bottom vid, that second bully that shows up at around 0:07-0:14 looks huge!!

I caught a 17" cutty upstream from where this vid was taken and that bigger one was all over it. He must have heard/felt the commotion 20m downstream and came to investigate. We went back the next day and caught fish but no bullies in sight.

Definitely..a bit of everything arose during this once in a lifetime event...what can you do? All the fish involved went home with a story too!!!

What can u do? Reel the cutty in like you are supposed to, and not drag it around like bait. I would image what you have done is illegal.

• Like 1

What can u do? Reel the cutty in like you are supposed to, and not drag it around like bait. I would image what you have done is illegal.

Yup. My thoughts to. Particularly with the second cutty caught as it hadn't been snatched by the bully. Not a good show.

• Like 1

That wasn't the intention at all...the intention was to land the fish and release them as quickly as we could on a lightweight rod and tippet. We are both respectful fly fishermen and I don't appreciate your judging. You weren't there. I was in the water trying to net them but they would run. We were as surprised as anyone that the bulls were there. We weren't focusing on them and we fish that spot a lot and this was the first time I have seen bulls. The cutty in both videos was caught and being reeled in when the bull came from no where.

If this happened to you what would the "Holier than thou" fisherman do so I will know for the next time.

• Like 4

That's what he did!! Neither of us would ever drag a "cutty" around as bait. We know better...when a bull is chasing a hooked cutty we try to get him in quickly and released safely. I don't appreciate our integrity as fly fishermen being questioned,

• Like 2

Nothing about "holier than thou", bullshit. All I see in the only vid I watched (second one), was a poor half alive cutty getting dragged to and fro around a lingering bull trout. You were provoking the bull trout. NOT trying to get the cutty away. Cutties don't fight worth *hit any you can pretty much drag them around at will. You displayed it perfecting but with poor judgement.

I'll bet that if I sent that video in to the CO's, you would get a call. As you should. Very poor ethics! If you don't want to be judged then don't post on the Internet!

Don't know about the "holier than thou fisherman" but I just reel 'em quick as I can and hope the bully doesn't get his teeth into it. If break my fish off doing so, so be it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Same goes for the bully... I enjoy your postings on this forum MrBotangles. No hard feelings here.

Best fishes, Paul

• Like 1

hey MrBotangles,

thanks for posting.

It's great to see the bull trout population come back and do what they do best!

Some people need to chill and maybe re-assess what they do as a sport.

As fly fisherman, we are all guilty of antagonising trout with every fish we catch.

Can't have it both ways.

Sure, we do our best to ensure that the fish go back unharmed, but sometimes we get

caught up in the excitement of it all.

Keep up the greats posts!

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing something here, I thought the bully was hooked on a second hook? I didn't see the city being dragged around as bait? No one else runs multiple hooks on here? Alrhough rare, I suppose there's always the possibility of hooking two fish at once.

Take the videos for what they are, 2 fish caught at the same time, I don't think these guys are doing anything wrong

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something here, I thought the bully was hooked on a second hook? I didn't see the city being dragged around as bait? No one else runs multiple hooks on here? Alrhough rare, I suppose there's always the possibility of hooking two fish at once.

Take the videos for what they are, 2 fish caught at the same time, I don't think these guys are doing anything wrong

The cutty was foul hooked on the pectoral fin by the lead fly and as the bull came to investigate he spotted the trailing fly and took it, Both flies were dry flies.