Fly Fusion Forums

Knot

Curious to know what others use for different various knots in their set up. Dry fly and nymphing. I myself have always used an improved clinch knot to tie a fly on but have recently been educated by a few big fish that the improved clinch is not always as strong as say a San Diego Jam knot. What knot do you use to tie tippet onto the shank of the first hook when setting up a double nymph rig? What do you use to connect leader to tippet? Maybe its time for a change but here is how I have set up my nymph rig for years :

Fly Line Leader Tippet Tippet

=================================*------------8--------------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*J*-----------------------*J

Nail knot Indy Surgeon's knot Improved Clinch Improved Clinch

for both of these

Curious to know what others use for different various knots in their set up. Dry fly and nymphing. I myself have always used an improved clinch knot to tie a fly on but have recently been educated by a few big fish that the improved clinch is not always as strong as say a San Diego Jam knot. What knot do you use to tie tippet onto the shank of the first hook when setting up a double nymph rig? What do you use to connect leader to tippet? Maybe its time for a change but here is how I have set up my nymph rig for years :

=================================*------------8--------------------------------------------------*-------------------------------*J*-----------------------*J

Nail knot Indy Surgeon's knot Improved Clinch Improved Clinch

for both of these

Great Post I think to simplify it we can refer to each spot with a number so people can respond more easily. See the numbers in brackets below. I also assume for flies two or three people will use the same knot so I didn't think we needed to specify.

Nail knot(spot 1) Indy Surgeon's knot (2) Improved Clinch (3) Improved Clinch (4)

for both of these

1. Nail knot or just the double loops provided by a fly line and tippet. Usually as I am so slow at the nail knot I will just do it once with some 1X and then do a perfection loop to make a loop this allows me to switch leaders very quickly and easily.

2. Surgeons.

3. Clinch

4. Clinch

Interesting post as I too have been wondering a bit about knots.

To help with the discussion I have found this site to be very helpful: http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Also does anyone use any of the many knot tying tools currently available? I have one which I have found to be very helpful with the nail knot in particular.

This year I started building my own leaders and I have liked the results. I like the simplicity of Borgers system and have built a number of leaders according to his specs. For nymphing I use his Bottom Bouncing design (attached). It was tough to find maxima chameleon in the various diameters, however I found some when I was in the states but I have seen some of the smaller diameters at canadian tire. The attach design is for water that is waist deep or shallower. If the water is deeper, add length to the 0x section.

I use blood knots to attach the various diameters together, but use a triple surgeon for the final piece of tippet. To attach the hook to tippet I use a regular clinch knot as it has been shown to be stronger than the improved clinch. For multiple flies on a nymph rig, I attached them by tying the tippet to eye of the hook.

I use a nail knot tool as it makes things a lot faster and easier, but haven't found the need for any other knot tools.

photo_zpsb55e631e.jpg

Country Pleasures posted an interesting way to setup a nymph rig, but I haven't tried it yet: http://countrypleasuresff.blogspot.ca/2012/03/monday-tips-and-techniques-nymph.html

Numbering system works great, thanks for the input :)

I think the knot tying tool you are referring to is called a tie-fast? I picked one up last year and it is money well spent. Perfect nail knot every time in seconds. It also can be used to tie nail knots to hooks which i found interesting. Here is a video of some different ways to use it! (I do not recommend using his hook sharpening technique at the end of the video)

• Like 1

I used to play with different knots, but laziness and ageing eyes, and frankly speed has resulted in:

1 -loop to loop usually

2- surgeon

3-clinch (not improved)

I can tie a nail knot pretty quick, but like loop to loop better. A little rougher in the guides maybe.

Surgeon is best knot ever invented. I'll never tie another blood knot

I've done improved clinch, loop, palomars, etc. etc for the fly and fly to fly. Always end up back at clinch. I can tie it that much quicker and almost never have an issue with it. I can barely see good enough to get the line through one loop, let alone two. And I do think that getting back into the water faster outweighs any marginal difference in strength or possibility of knot failure.

I used to play with different knots, but laziness and ageing eyes, and frankly speed has resulted in:

1 -loop to loop usually

2- surgeon

3-clinch (not improved)

I can tie a nail knot pretty quick, but like loop to loop better. A little rougher in the guides maybe.

Surgeon is best knot ever invented. I'll never tie another blood knot

I've done improved clinch, loop, palomars, etc. etc for the fly and fly to fly. Always end up back at clinch. I can tie it that much quicker and almost never have an issue with it. I can barely see good enough to get the line through one loop, let alone two. And I do think that getting back into the water faster outweighs any marginal difference in strength or possibility of knot failure.

X2 Just keep it simple

Loop to loop for line to leader. Barrel swivel at the end of the leader, then about 8" of 2x to the first fly, then 18"-24" of 3x to the next fly, and if I am doing a triple set up, then another 18" - 24" to the bottom fly. I've been typically doing two fly set ups as of late. Nothing but clinch knots or improved clinch knots for fly connections.