Fly Fusion Forums

Is There A Valid Arguement For Barbles

Responsible ATV users are also going to end up suffering from what is going on in the Oldman & Castle drainages too. Here we are worried about barbless, when every Tom, Dick, Harry, Billy Bob, Cletus, is going to be driving through a closed (to fishing) river on the May long weekend tearing up riverbed our precious little Vanna White's are being born. I think a ATV tire on top of an egg or just hatched 1cm fry is a bzillion times more harmful than a barbed hook will ever be to it! And for the record I use barbless and will continue to do so, but I am not going to force that opniion on anyone, and if my kids come fishing and start getting frustrated I WILL ask if they'd like to try one with a barb.

• Like 3

Clive,

As I said - elderly cut. I did catch a cut outta the N. Ram that had a Floy tag in the trout which was installed 8 years previously in a 15" fish. This cut was <>10 years old. If one could transpose a similar situation to the Livingstone, the trout may also been 10+ years old which is well within the barbed era.

And Dave Jensen -

You must live in some kind of economic bubble few of us experience! Just where is the money to come from for the research you ballyoo about? You - not likely. And even if research is done - is there any evidence the Govt will change direction. You, like a lot of folks are under the mistaken belief that Govts are responsible. The group @ the Red Deer meeting reflected the same attitude. By the way - where were you? Not that you were missed a whole lot. I'd thought by your endless ramblings about the Red Deer River, you'd be front and centre.

And if you are such a believer in research are you NOW intending to make sure your clients disinfect their gear to make sure they do not pack diseases into our province. And no Dave - I or others have no desire to read several pages of personal attacks on me that resulted when I asked you the same question a number of years ago. Well Dave - Yes or No.

And as far as Guide Rules- I've asked the same question of a number of guiding outfits as to whether or not they have their clients disinfect their gear so they will not pack diseases into Alberta To a man the result was "I can't ask my clients to do that". My response goes - "keep them outta here".

Don

• Like 1

Back to this thread. Re: barbless. Mike Sullivan quote at the prov round table mtg yesterday had the best, most qualified reply to barbless vs barbed hooks "It's so subtle as to be invisible" and went on to discuss the larger issues of habitat (as in you have 20 - 30% land disturbance in grayling streams and habitat becomes anoxic). Again, our fisheries aren't suffering from lack of regulation, they are suffering due to habitat, land use, over recreation.

Don.

Yes. Thank you for asking. I've been to NZ and seen Didymo at its worst. Once again, your ongoing negative assumptions & projections of me are incorrect. One day you'll stop?

Where was I re: mtg on the Red Deer? New Zealand. I'd been busting my ass for 13-14 years trying to ensure the mtg you attended even occurred. Good of you to show up.

Re: Moving forward any kind of biological study on Stauffer as a benchmark ecosystem & fishery: it might just get some traction, despite your insistance of your world view that there's no way something like what I'm talking about could occur. If Streamwatch can get funding, why not this?

Re: me saying any kind of personal attack on you: I continue to simply set the record straight and respond to your ongoing, unfounded attacks on me that you began long before I even knew who you were. You persist in dismissing, denying, deflecting, and attacking me - I simply continue to set the record straight. You don't like getting called out on doing this, but yet you continue to do exactly what you did in this thread (deflect one issue and attack on another).