Fly Fusion Forums

Stolen Gear

A member had a pack stolen out of his truck 2 weeks ago - he just realized his vest with 4 flyboxes (almost all tied by himself) were also in the bag.

Rob is a super nice guy and has volunteered with both the provincial and parks projects - he goes by Mountainriverwalker on FFC

If someone approaches you with a vest and boxes with a "too good to be true" price please get info and let Rob know !

He has stopped working and is in school fulltime so I am giving him a new vest I don't use, if anyone wants to donate a couple flies pm me Ill send you an address. I'll ask him to post specifics about the vest and boxes, Thanks

I really hope someone finds the guy who stole his pack! I know its not the same as having a your box's full of your own tied flies but if he would like I am more then happy to tie up a few extra flies so that he can start to restock what was stolen!

It's a really disheartening feeling to discover that someone has ripped off your equipment. I've had snowborad gear stolen before, but not fly fishing equipment. 4 boxes gone, pretty much all my chronies, streamers and dries, as well as 2/3 of my nymphs. I guess its a good thing I bought a couple of boxes at the end of the season last year, I still have some nymphs and tiny dries.

And to think I gave Pipestone a hard time for having multiple boxes.

Silver Doc, I can't imagine the feeling you had when you realized your pontoon was no longer yours.

On the bright side, I still have my rods and reels.

Great attitude Mountainriver, really sorry to hear about your luck. My fly collection is getting a little unmanageable at the moment so I will send you some to help get you back to that point too.

Something I will definitely be keeping in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - Rob is incredibly grateful for the care packages he has recieved, and all the other support !

Rob is one of those fellas who always hands you one of his secret (and usually very effective) flies without a moments hesitation - I have more than a few squirreled away awaiting replication ;)

It never fails to impress me how awesome the people on this site can be !!!!!

BTW - been a victim myself more than a couple times - when I moved out west, my 1st night in Calgary my car, with everything I owned was stolen. When I got to Lake Louise the next day, word spread and within a couple hours guys I had never met had equiped me with replacement ski touring and climbing gear, a mountain bike, not to mention a new set of clothes, including everything I would need for backcountry skiing - I'll never forget that kindness and I always look forward to a chance to pay it forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what your handles are on here, but a big thanks to a fellow from Airdrie, as well as a fellow from Kaslo. Thank you for your generous gifts of flies and boxes, they are greatly appreciated. I've kept your return addresses, and will send you guys some of my favorite ties sometime before the end of the summer.

Thanks again for your generosity