Fly Fusion Forums

Brookie Bonking

I signed up for TU`s brook trout suppression program. Had some nice fishing and grilled some tasty char. I just got an email from Jim Stelfox and it sounds like the program is coming along nicely and has had some favorable results. There were over 2000 brook trout eliminated from the streams involved with some guy named Hansma bonking 10% of them himself. The guy sounds like a beast.

That rotten bastard, anyone ever met him? Betcha he's a prick in real life too.

Willow saw the highest high removal rates at over 1600 going for a ride. It'll be interesting to see if we started to make some room for the other fish and which one starts to predominate.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

is this program all over AB or just in selective areas? Im thinking of doing a trip to banff next summer to an area where there are a ton of brookies and cutts.

great job on the Bank-a-thon!

is this program all over AB or just in selective areas? Im thinking of doing a trip to banff next summer to an area where there are a ton of brookies and cutts.

great job on the Bank-a-thon!

Although we will be expanding this program in 2013 to include a few more waters in the SW portion of the Eastern Slopes, it does not apply to any waters in the National Parks. One other change that will be occurring in 2013 is that harvest of rainbow trout will also be permitted from a few specified waters (including Willow Creek), so the mandatory fish ID test will be modified to include this species.

For those who might be interested in participating in this project, I have attached a summary of the data for the past four years, as well as a background information sheet.

Cheers,

Jim

Stewardship Licence-pilot project_background information_2012.pdf

2012_Stewardship Licence Pilot Project creel data summary.pdf

Actually, RedBeard, it is upstream of the reserve, near priddis. In past years, there were always only Rainbows, but lately the brookies have been showing up. Sadly, I am still waiting for my first cutthroat trout, but I fear that the Rainbows pushed them out years ago.

Yup those brookies were very tasty. I was sure I would have beat Hansma in Willow as I hit that creek really hard but I think I was short about 10 fish :(

Can't wait to get the Stewardship licence renewal for 2013. Interesting that rainbows would be included, we only ever caught two at Willow with all the times we went out.

Actually, RedBeard, it is upstream of the reserve, near priddis. In past years, there were always only Rainbows, but lately the brookies have been showing up. Sadly, I am still waiting for my first cutthroat trout, but I fear that the Rainbows pushed them out years ago.

Oh cool, yeah I was going to say I didn't see much action in FCP by the reserve when I walk through there in the summer.

Yup those brookies were very tasty. I was sure I would have beat Hansma in Willow as I hit that creek really hard but I think I was short about 10 fish :(

Can't wait to get the Stewardship licence renewal for 2013. Interesting that rainbows would be included, we only ever caught two at Willow with all the times we went out.

I'm really curious what the guidelines are going to be for deciding a Cutthroat vs a Rainbow. I caught a few mongrel looking ones in the first few bends upstream of the bridge last year, all rainbow characteristics except the slash.

I'm really curious what the guidelines are going to be for deciding a Cutthroat vs a Rainbow. I caught a few mongrel looking ones in the first few bends upstream of the bridge last year, all rainbow characteristics except the slash.

Talk to Jim Stelfox, he would know. I'll pm you his email addy

The only way to get brookies out of there is to use chemicals and kill everything. I don't really understand what bonking a ton of brookies will do to this fishery so I'll leave my personal opinion out of it, but I'd like to know how this would improve the current fishery at Willow?

Christ Peace , you're the one that carps about how poaching is decimating our streams so you tell me what you think will happen if you overharvest 2 out of 3 species of sport fish in a small stream? .Do yourself a favour and read the report on Quirk Creek, its on the TU site.

I guess I just don't understand how on one hand we're trying to create "quality fisheries" in lakes with non native fish, and on the very other hand we are trying to kill what I believe to be a quailty brook trout fishery in Willow. I haven't said much on this forum about Willow before now, but there are 16-18" class brookies in there. The project states that brook trout are "harder to catch" than cutts and bulls, I also do not believe that to be true and while I am no scientist I have spent thousands upon thousands of hours researching and observing :)

So let's let quads run ragged over the entire FTR streams and poaching is running rampant out there, and lets focus on removing fun to catch quality brookies?? I just think our focus is in the wrong place. I suppose what's next, Cataract Creek? Forget the logging, those darned brookies must go!! Die evil brook trout die!

I guess I just don't understand how on one hand we're trying to create "quality fisheries" in lakes with non native fish, and on the very other hand we are trying to kill what I believe to be a quailty brook trout fishery in Willow. I haven't said much on this forum about Willow before now, but there are 16-18" class brookies in there.

While I don't doubt you on that I can tell you that I never caught one. What I did see is 7 little 4" brookies come out of the same hole one day and 5 more 24 hours later and then 6 more the next day. Left alone I suspect the fishery is not sustainable, they are too prolific.

So to maintain a "quality" brook trout fishery in your mind we should let a naturally evolved unique species die out in one particular stream? Why not, the brook trout have expatriated all the Willow Ck bull trout anyway, just one more stream with no cutthroat that's all. That only makes 9 -10 more streams with no natives that I've personally witnessed...

Lobby to turn Cataract into a quality brook trout fishery if you're so inclined, it's historically fish barren above the falls anyway but you're gonna have to siphon about 50% of the brookies out of there if you want to maintain any size........... although it would be a good safe low cost place to stash some pure cutts in case the decline continues, can't just depend on the upper Old Man, Westcastle and Lynx

I may fish lower down than most who fish on Willow, in my defense. Willow is a pretty long and diversified stream. I just do not know how we can erase years of human footprint on it (are we going to stop stocking Chain lakes with rainbows? Seems that should be step #1, no? They get out through the spillway often)... or are we talking Upper Willow for the management plan? Are we going to start removing the browns too?

What I guess I'd like to see if you can direct me to it, is a detailed management plan specifically for Willow. Because right now my thoughts are this: If we just start remmoving one species out of the 6 trout species I have caught in it, what real good will it do? I have landed a laker, brown, bull, brook, rainbow, cutthroat, all within 2km of eachother and all healthy fish too. It's already unique in it's own right. I just think there are a lot better options for restoration of native fish stocks than Willow. I'm not trying to stir the pot or say NOT to, but I'd like to know what good it will do in the end. To manage Willow for cutts and bulls you'd have to remove Browns, Lakers, Rainbows, and Brookies. And Pike, though they are native, as they would compete with the bulls. And you'd basicaly have to remove ainbows from the lower oldman below the damn and erase the browns from there too. It's just a lot of GOOD fishing that would have to be bombed to achieve the goal of slightly better fishing for small cutthroats? It doesn't make sense to me. Please educate me.