Fly Fusion Forums

Slave Lake Pike

lethfisher

Hey guys!

Haven't posted in awhile as I moved up to Slave Lake to work at the college. Not much for fly fishing up here, plus it has been really raining so all the streams and lakes have raised up quite high. I went out walleye fishing with a guy and we have had pretty good luck out on the lake trolling. There is a weir coming off the Lesser Slave River and there is a little stretch that is a popular fishing spot. I have been out there twice now, no luck the first time and I just got back in from a great outing today. There was a bunch of older guys who said they had never seen someone fly fish for jackfish before lol

I caught one little guy, hooray first pike on a fly in Slave Lake!!, but he chowed down on the whole fly and it took a bit to get it out of him. Second one hit like a jackhammer and took me a little while to get him in. Great fun!! Pike in rivers seem to have a lot more spunk than pike in lakes that's for sure!!

Got some pics of the gators for you guys! First is the little guy, still almost to big for my trout net! haha Second is the big guy on the bank probably around 3 or 4 pounds, it was the biggest pike I had ever gotten on my fly rod. The third pic is me holding the pike up, some of the older guys there wanted it for eating so I gave it to them lol Caught both pike on some ugly hairy bunny bug/clouser minnow flashy thingy.

pikeinnet.jpg

pikeonbank.jpg

bigpike.jpg

I have been reading the forum a lot lately and I really need to go stream fishin for some rainbows!! I dream of the crowsnest pass!!

Sseet pictures, I'm just wondering what's going on in the background of the last one... it looks like there's a fence with barb wire in the river?

That is the weir haha The river is so high right now that you can't even tell it is there. The fences are to keep people out and there are signs about the "Drowning Machine" and all that. It is about a km down the river from the lake. Not sure why the river is so high right now though. I'll post some pics of it on monday.