Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Home Telephone Service Providers

Howdy FFC Folks, I touched on this re Magic Jack earlier, and want to expand. Leaving Telus for many reasons, and I am aware of Vonage, Shaw, and Magic Jack for phone providers. What do you members find re the provider you use, and are there others you folks feel I should investigate, and what features do you like about them? Thanks

My mother has Primus, and based on her experiences, I would avoid them like the plague. Obviously, internet-based phones do not work if the internet or power is out (and remember, only corded phones work in a power-outage), and I have a number of friends that left Shaw over outage issues in the past 2 years. I have Telus, but I only very rarely use my land-line, but have no complaints. My office uses RingCentral (I am not sure if they provide home lines), and they are quite terrible.

Once my Telus contracts run out, it will be over to Shaw. Telus only cares about you until you become their customer....

And every time Shaw's internet service has a hiccup your phone service will go south for the duration.... Grass is always greener whilst you're lookin' over the fence.. Ask me how I know.

If the phone dies in a power outage, I have a cell phone. So does my wife. So does the majority of the planet.

As have I since '95, but the old-fashioned in me still likes my land-line to work when the power is out (perhaps I have run down my mobile charge and need to make a call?).

And every time Shaw's internet service has a hiccup your phone service will go south for the duration.... Grass is always greener whilst you're lookin' over the fence.. Ask me how I know.

And I can count on one hand how many times I have been without telephone/internet service with them in the last 10 years since moving to Calgary.

As I said, I`ve had no problems with them to speak of.

And I can count on one hand how many times I have been without telephone/internet service with them in the last 10 years since moving to Calgary.

As I said, I`ve had no problems with them to speak of.

And I'd run outta fingers to count on just this winter alone, tried shaw phone a couple of yrs ago when they first offered it here and it was a flamin' pain in the ass.

And I'd run outta fingers to count on just this winter alone, tried shaw phone a couple of yrs ago when they first offered it here and it was a flamin' pain in the ass.

I fully agree with you Taco, shaw has many interruptions in their Internet service

Thanks for your info, Taco, certainly food for thought. For me, we were one of the first to get Telus Optik TV a few years ago. My wife signed us on, she got a 'great deal'.

However, Optik had many, many problems in the begining, and still is not perfect to this day. I am not going to go on and on about what happened over the years, but we were over billed many times for services we did not use, had outages lasting days, were promised many things that never happened. A different story from each rep we would call, hours on the phone trying to sort out over billing, etc etc.

Telus's land lines and internet service is 100%. Mobility is fine as any of them. TV however......