Fly Fusion Forums

Magic Jack, Have You Tried It?

A very good friend of mine spends the winter months in Southern California. He has used the magic jack for the last 3 years. I have personally talked to him via this connection. My observations are as follows.

The quality of the call greatly depends on the Internet connection on the magic jack end. The calls have varied from excellent all the way through to unusable and everything in between.

If magic jack was your only phone service, you might have issues with 911 calls. You can still dial but the 911 operator would have no visibility of your location.

The cost cannot be beat and in my opinion, it works well for long distance calls but I would be hesitant to rely obit as my sole means of communications.

These are just my thoughts on the magic jack and I'm sure others may have a different view.

Murray

I was just down in Palm Springs and the place we were at had a magic jack. I was reasonably impressed. As Murray said the call quality will vary based on internet. This will happen with Skype, vonage, viber, or Magic Jack. I have used them all and had decent success.

As Murray said the 911 part is an issue. Personally I like using my cell phone and just putting one of the apps mentioned above on it and then using wi-fi as data roaming is very pricey.

911 is an issue, as currently Calgary emergency services has no way to locate a call placed via internet or mobile phone....I keep a bare-bones Telus land line for emergencies (remember that if the power is out, so is your internet and magic-jack), 911 calls, and sending faxes, but use my mobile for everything else. I have unlimeted North-American wide calling on my mobile, and use a calling card for everywhere else (very cheap), or Skype.

Toirtis all very good points. With most modern cell phones now though they can track your location. I know that was not always the case.

The issue is not the phones, but the emergency services....Calgary emergency services does not have the tech to locate calls coming from cells, and according to them, likely will not for another 3+ years. Although your mobile service provider can locate your cell, it takes time to contact the provider, and then to get them to locate the phone....which is just fine if your 911 call can wait 10+ minutes.

• Like 1

The above statement about Calgary not having the technology I beleive is false.

Not according to the head of the EMT in Calgary.

I have worked as a communication officer for the paramedics in a major city. No they can't pin point your exact location, but with triangulation with cell towers they can give you an approximate location within "x" amount of meters.

Which sounds great, although "x amount of meters could be a 100 x 100 meter grid...that is a big area when every second counts.....especially if you are all alone, having a heart attack in your basement family room.

Just checked with the CRTC and it seems that they should have cell phone tower triangulation.

Again, triangulation is only so accurate, and becomes less so if the number of local towers is less.

Mind letting us know who this head of EMT is.

I believe that is was Bruce Burrell who mentioned it.

Well your statement implied that Calgary doesn't use/have that technology.

Anyways just clearing the air.

No, Calgary EMS does not have the technology to locate your cel....your provider does have the ability to triangulate, but it is not always crazy accurate, and it takes quite a long while for EMS to contact them request the info, and get it back.

No Slack,

I had worked at a company over 7 years ago that did not require GPS systems to pin point cell phones. I had help develop the software, and all that was needed was access to the Telco towers, which of course was a very sticky point as the telcos wanted to charge 911 fees to cusotmers instead of offering it for free as was mandated by the CRTC back then. 911 calls could be pinpointed to 2.5', average was around 1meter. As well the actaull address if avialable could be determined.

This thread went way off topic, So lets get it back on topic.....

Who has used the Magic Jack, and what was their own personal experince with it.

Thanks

Black Ant

• 4 weeks later...