Fly Fusion Forums

If You Could Have Only One.............

Flytyer

If you could only have one book on fly tying; what would it be?

In my opinion there is only one book to have and that is The Flytyer's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles. There are no patterns in this great work but practically any technique or method you could ever need to execute is in there. Mind you this not a beginners book but once you have the basics this is really the only book you'll ever need. Not exactly cheap either but worth every penny.

I personally have not much use for most books that are out there; they are mostly pattern books. Mostly what I have is a few books on classic salmonfly tying and history on flies. My most prized is The Practical Angler by W.C. Stewart the 1907 Centenary edition.

That's a hard question because I learned 90% of what I know from books, there was nobody to teach me when I started in '69....or at least nobody that had time.

I think the book that got me looking at materials was by Poul Jorgensen "Modern Flydressing for the Practical Angler" I think that is the title.....too lazy to run downstairs. But LaFontaines books as well as Helen Shaws book were invaluable....Hmmm. I guess even though it is out of print I'll go with Poul Jorgensens'book.

Guest bigbadbrent

favourite patten book was "Tying Dry Flies" by randall kauffman,...amazing book, as is his nymph one..so in between the two

i started out with 2 books, fly tying basics and some walmart series on how to fly fish and how to tie flies. appart from that, i am self taught. i look at the picture and go from there. trial and error on what to use and how to do it. although the tying glass bead flies was very handy

Ouch only one book.

I love my Benchside Reference, and my favorite for sure. My autographed copy of Oliver Edwards Flytyers Masterclass is pretty precious to me.

As far as my most fav fishing (not fly tying) is my set of Roderick Haig-Brown books. Fishermans Spring summer and fall, A River Never Sleeps. Reading a Roderick Haig-Brown book is an experience.

Ouch only one book.

I love my Benchside Reference, and my favorite for sure. My autographed copy of Oliver Edwards Flytyers Masterclass is pretty precious to me.

As far as my most fav fishing (not fly tying) is my set of Roderick Haig-Brown books. Fishermans Spring summer and fall, A River Never Sleeps. Reading a Roderick Haig-Brown book is an experience.

Silver Doc, get Fisherman's Winter if at all possible. The best of the series in my opinion. A read that you won't want to put down, and a facinating look at Chile in the early days of it's flyfishing destination development.

Silver Doc, get Fisherman's Winter if at all possible. The best of the series in my opinion. A read that you won't want to put down, and a facinating look at Chile in the early days of it's flyfishing destination development.

I have it just forgot to mention it. Great read.

A book that I constantly refer to since buying is. Matching the Hatch by Pat O'Reilly. as this simplifies fly choice and describes alternatives to use at any time.

Next on the menu is the purchase of the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference.

This one will certainly become a collectors Item.

If I can only have one it would be The Benchside Referernce... I am a bit of a collector and have a lot of great books:

AK Best's

Randall Kaufman's

Jack Dennis's

Lafontaine's

and a lot of videos and CDs.

I also learned on my own from books and found both Kaufman's and Dennis's were great teachers. Neil Jennings (former partner at Country Pleasures) complied a great book a few years ago. It was a binder format with a lot of the great AB flies pictured with recipes. I really liked the binder concept and have added website print outs and even my own photos, recipes and notes into the binder. I added those little plastic index marker/tabs with labels such as dries, nymphs, etc. It has become a valuable resource of my fly tying and fishing successes.

A Guide To River Trout Flies by John Roberts. The book blends some very old traditional flies with some new contemporary patterns and styles of tying. The beauty of the book is that the original materials used in the tyings are detailed and usually an alternative suggestion. Lets's face it most of us tie up with what we have to hand in any case.