Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In Belize

cohoconnie

I was in Belize for about 2 weeks at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept. I got home about a week ago. While I was down there I did some fly fishing. I did a bunch of fly fishing right from the dock of the place I was staying at and did a few days of flats/lagoon fishing looking for bonefish, tarpon and permit. Here are some pictures of fish I caught from the docks, they are not big but they were still fun to catch:

Belize%20Tiny%20Grunt_zps5ec02e0e.jpg

- a cuda tried to eat this guy:

Snapper%20Belize_zpsb85910e1.jpg

Grunt%20Belize_zps9beb1cc0.jpg

Chub%20Belize_zpscb634163.jpg

Snapper%20Belize%202_zpscb037f5f.jpg

Went out 2 days with a guide to look mostly for bonefish. I did see tarpon and Permit, I never got close to catching either but my friend who I was in Belize with caught about a 30 lb tarpon and just missed a Permit for the grand slam. Here are some pictures of my bonefishing experience:

Underwater%20Bone_zpsb1272370.jpg

Flats%20Fishing%20Belize_zpse7e19db9.jpg

Bonefish%20Belize%201_zps9e5c428a.jpg

Bonefish%20Belize%202_zps9f27566b.jpg

Bonefish%20Belize%203_zps7df382f5.jpg

I was also able to catch a few cuda's. I have to say I had the most fun with them, here is a picture with one of my cuda's, the other I caught was about the same size:

Cuda%20Belize_zps7709640f.jpg

Something else "fish" related was that I got to swim with a bunch of nurse sharks, I even got to hold one:

Shark%20Belize_zps1871fc05.jpg

I had a blast in Belize. It was my first time doing any salt water fly fishing (I only started fly fishing a few months ago). I found the wind to be a bit tricky but I was still able to have fun and catch fish. I think in the future I will look to do more salt water fly fishing.

Cheers

Connie

• 4 weeks later...