Fly Fusion Forums

Ideas For Swap Themes

Flytyer

Just wondering what kind of themes you ladies and gents would like to see in upcoming swaps. Just list away here. I'm not going to suggest any here as I have picked the first 2 and co-conspiried on the third.

antique flies perhaps?

i was also thinking the bar fly theme would be rather fun. perhaps not useful as they may never catch anything but fun nonetheless. and who knows, maybe they would work. lol

pike streamers, favourite dries

even saltwater flies, again not particularly useful but could work on bulls

there's my thought

antique flies perhaps?

i was also thinking the bar fly theme would be rather fun. perhaps not useful as they may never catch anything but fun nonetheless. and who knows, maybe they would work.

The term "Bar Fly" tickles my fancy! You could get names such as - The Rheumy, Gin Soaked Sod, The Paralytic, A Busted Wheel, Foggy Dew, etc!

We ran a traditional swap (post 203) on another forum with 15 tyers and the Swap Meister presented all the flies with history sheets of all the information that was available to the tyers.

The term "Bar Fly" tickles my fancy! You could get names such as - The Rheumy, Gin Soaked Sod, The Paralytic, A Busted Wheel, Foggy Dew, etc! WHAT???

We ran a traditional swap (post 203) on another forum with 15 tyers and the Swap Meister presented all the flies with history sheets of all the information that was available to the tyers.

do we have different alcohol than you? or am i just stuck in my ways?

i'm glad i could tickle your fancy. i thought bar flies was a cute name

• 2 weeks later...

I think the coolest idea for a swap would be to have a common set of materials that everyone has to use.

I'm not sure the best way to do that - whether it would be mailing materials or just having everyone buy their own off a preset list.

Would be very cool to see what everyone would come up with.

Could also do a "secret ingredient" type swap. Sort of like Iron Chef - except you could call it Iron Tyer. Allllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz CUISINE!

This was done once before with us and Writer 1 has done a few of these and he stated that it takes a long time to get one of these to work. He would gather up materials and send off to participants and they would create flies, problem was some never got the materials or their flies didn't make it back to their destination. I'm sure Writer may add some more top this as he has the most experience with this type of swap.

How about a theme dedicated to some of the great tiers, and the flies named after their name sake, or flies that they are well known for. When possible, the flies should be tied as called for by the originator.

Lee Wulff - Wulff series

Bob Clauser - Clausers

Brian Chan - Chironomids

Skip Morris - Skip Nymphs

Joe Butorac - Marabou Spiders

Hans Van Klinken - Klinkhammer Series

...Frank Sawyer, Roderick Haig-Brown, Jack Dennis, Helen Shaw and many others. Lots to choose from

what about a festive theme

everyone gets a different holiday and not restricted to canadian holidays,

suggestion - 4th of july fly, halloween, christmas, easter, chuanaka (sp?) etc. i'm not up on my holidays but you get the idea.

or flags of the world. pick a country, and use the colours of the flag to create a fly

How about you open a swap without giving it a theme. You then look at the 'take up' and each victim whoops sorry participant suggests a tying material. Preferably one that requires a little imagination. You then invite participants to tie up using the odd concoction from the list that people have provided. You leave the overall pattern to each of the tiers to gain as much variation as possible. Obviously this idea needs a lot of refining but the basic theme is there.

How about you open a swap without giving it a theme. You then look at the 'take up' and each victim whoops sorry participant suggests a tying material. Preferably one that requires a little imagination. You then invite participants to tie up using the odd concoction from the list that people have provided. You leave the overall pattern to each of the tiers to gain as much variation as possible. Obviously this idea needs a lot of refining but the basic theme is there.

This has possiblities.

Flytyer, with the Challenge swaps I didn't have too much propblem with losing stuff in the mail (UPS did though!!), but the timeline just because of how most of them work, was very long though 12 of the 13 swaps I have done like this were held internationally and only one was pretty much 100% domestic. Mail reliability as far as delivery time was definitely an issue but the swap just seems to take a lot longer because of the mailing itself and I allow probably more time than people need because I needed to allow for items to reach everyone, which meant Europe/Canada and the U.S. then because what I send is usually very abstract and takes some thought for many tyers so I allow a little more time for that. Tha last few I held went well, though I tried to do two last winter and while the second one was completed it ran well into Spring and was just one too many Challenge swaps in a winter.

That being said, there was one quicker swap like this, I think it was Challenge #5, The Recycle Swap, where tyers had to use pretty much anything that would end up being thrown out :o except! :blink: Gift wrap, party ribbons, decorations the usual obvious stuff. All materials had to be cleared by the swapmeister via pm's. I would suggest that this one would work fairly quickly. We had flies made from baling twine, plastic milk jugs etc.

Either one would work if there is a will to do one, but the recycle theme is the quickest and depends less on the mail.

what exactly IS a czech nymph anyway.

i keep hearing about them and reading bits and pieces here and there, but i have no idea as to what they are specifically. generally, i get the concept that it is a nymph and certain style of nymphing... or is that like asking what a bergman fly is? a number of different yet similar patterns in style and application as well as usage

i keep hearing about them and reading bits and pieces here and there, but i have no idea as to what they are specifically. generally, i get the concept that it is a nymph and certain style of nymphing... or is that like asking what a bergman fly is? a number of different yet similar patterns in style and application as well as usage

A Czech is a nymph tied up on a particular style of heavyweight hook usually tied up with lead as extra weight. The body is usually dubbed and ribbed, a shell back incorporated and is ribbed usually with nlyon monofilament. Take a look at this dirty old rascals tying:

http://ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index...read=1189605925

I hope that this helps

Regards

Geoff

thanks geoff, i will.

BBB,

here's a cool one. if you dont have the polar bear i have both the blue and natural

artic ice

hook - partridge bartleet 3/0 (you could probably use just a regular streamer hook

tread florescent orange

tag silver tinsle

tail - crest (yellow) - i dont have this but i have other yellow feathers

rib oval silver tinsel

body silver tinsel

wing stacked white polar bear, silver krystal flash, blue polar bear, silver kristal flash, white buck tail

eyes yellow paint, black dots

Phantom of the lake

hook 2xl-3xl #10-14

thread 3/0 black

tail lt grey marabou, 1 strand clear krystal flash,

body 2 black beads, remander clear or pearl (1clear, 1 black, 3 clear, 1 black, 1 clear) - have the beads

variation - additions

hackle - none, if water is stained, try 1 wind white saddle hackle.if pupae are rising to the surface, build up last forward bead section with bleched ostrich herl to emulate the clear thorax

there are more - lots more. i will swing by the store - tomorrow is not looking good - i am house sitting.

They work quite well on the Bow. The Czech Nymph technique is is a deadly one.