Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River

With hundreds of etiquette things to remember when you are on the river, remembering everything you need to bring on the trip, and all the rules / regulations you need to have in your back pocket, fishing is still the best sport to live. Here are some etiquette tips I believe in:

-cut the leader off your rod and tie it on your buddies when he's frustrated with a tanglation so he can still fish

-pack extra drinks / food for the team

-pack extra long sleeve shirt and hat

-when floating the Bow and passing another party, a nod of the hat is suffice - knowing you are not interfering with them

Send some of your tips -even if they seem trivial to you, we need to hear them.

The only tip I have is use commen scene, if you wouldn't like it done to you then don't do it to others.

Final Tip: Treat EVERYONE with repect regardless to who it is on the river, we are all there to enjoy the river.

I am one of the a__holes with a jet. I always go wide of shore fishers, planing but at a slower speed, as the depth allows, and slow way down when passing canoes or drifters, and as far as possible, but in the eyes of some that is not enough. I agree, if you cant be courteous, dont get on the water. I have also pulled three people off the river in three years, and saw the rafters go over the weir a few weeks ago. Respect the water and mother nature, as they always win.

If you want to fish a certain area and see someone working within 500ft of where you'd like to go, ASK them. 99% of people who you actually ask will be happy to share the water they are in. If you don't ask 99% of the folks you step in on will be a bit ticked that you did so, and a few might get vocal with you (and I encourage them to do so, people need to know when they are not showing proper etiquette). Common sense is NOT common, unfortunately. People need to be educated.

If you want to fish a certain area and see someone working within 500ft of where you'd like to go, ASK them. 99% of people who you actually ask will be happy to share the water they are in. If you don't ask 99% of the folks you step in on will be a bit ticked that you did so, and a few might get vocal with you (and I encourage them to do so, people need to know when they are not showing proper etiquette). Common sense is NOT common, unfortunately. People need to be educated.

I just spray paint lines in the water on either side of where I want to fish... :P

Well that was fun. Lots of good thoughts, thanks people! Just don't want to hurt our little buddies. People brag about catching twenty fish a day - does anyone think about the fish and their poor wounds. Don't put the fish on the rocks.

It's easy to get too excited when you catch the big fish and not pay attention to the life of the trout. Especially when taking pictures. Photos welcome.

Here's a new one! Rubbing alcohol, antiseptic ,iodine on the hook removal spot...??

No joke - over the pond in England, this is what the catch and release anglers do. Not sure what its called, never heard of anyone doing it here. Will we be doing it here in the future?